S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Dissapointed

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 10:14 PM
1st Gear
Default Dissapointed

Well, I couldn't be more dissapointed in my B5 S4 than I am right now. I was smelling a terrible odor(oil on the exhaust manifold i presumed, from God knows where) so I took it into a new shop that only does Audi's.

As far as driving style is concerned, people used to call me grandma-I baby the car, rarely shifting past 3800 rpm's. I change the oil every 3,500 miles and do all of the scheduled mantainence early. The car has only 70,000 miles on it. I also replaced my valve cover gaskets last year at this time.

I got a phone call the next day confirming $3,800 worth of problems. I was leaking oil from my valve cover gaskets(replaced a year ago) and cam tensioner, had a leaky rear differential seal, and my timing belt was squealing a bit so they recommended a timing belt change while the car was apart. I was quoted at 12 hours to get to the cam tensioner and vcg and 14 to do the timing belt, so i figured what is two more hours of labor to do the timing belt. As far as suspension was concerned both tie rod ends were supposively shot, as well as my upper and lower control arms on both sides(replaced at 40,000 miles). I had also blown a CV boot on the right side(i replaced the left one at 50,000 miles).

I couldn't be more disappointed with the reliability of this engine. I am spending 30% of the value of the car on repairs, doesn't make sense. Hopefully she lasts for another 30,000 miles with no maintenance(other than spark plugs, oil, and air filter which i can do myself). Anybody have any thoughts, I would love to hear them.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:16 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Dissapointed

and another thing, the car has no engine modifications except for a borla exhaust, and i am currently running fuzion HRI tires-reflection of the driving style i suppose... in case anyone is wondering.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:42 PM

Get a second opinion to make sure the shop isn't jewing you.

Other than that it sounds like most of the major problems hit you all at once. After all that work, other than possible turbo replacement, you shouldnt have to worry about much for a while.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:14 PM
1st Gear

I'm really sorry to say this, but if you bought your Audi for reliabilty you bought the wrong car... That's what Japanese cars are for. Everyone knows German cars are known for their performance & comfort, and not their reliability.

But all B.S. aside, it sounds like this shop might be trying to screw you; suspension stuff shouldn't be going bad that quickly... I'd get a 2nd opinion.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:29 PM
1st Gear

German cars are the most reliable i can think of my friend. I drive a 1996 993 targa heavily modded rather hard as well as a 2007 bmw x3. I push that bmw hard every time i drive and I haven't experienced a hiccup in the engine after 15,000 miles. It is nonsense to say that German cars are not known for their reliability

Old 01-13-2008, 11:35 PM
2nd Gear

You wanna hear about reliable issues? haha i bought my car with 74k miles and now it is at 106k and i have had to do...
Rear diff seal, Tranny (synchros), clutch, clutch slave cylinder, timing belt, 2 wheel sensors, all wheel bearings, control arms, brakes, including right front caliper siezed, oil pan,

AND TO TOP IT OFF the Turbo lady is singing my tune right now haha.

So yea i spent 17,800 on my car in april of 2006 and ive prolly spent another almost 10k in perfeormance, appearence, and repairs and im not close to stage 3 yet. only stage 2. with coilovers.
SUCKS haha but i LOVE my s4

Old 01-13-2008, 11:44 PM
1st Gear

haha yea i love my car too. Everybody I know tells me it is ridiculous that this much is wrong right now, but I can't wait to sit back down in that nappa leather tomorrow. oh yeah, i love the icon tkneedss4

Old 01-14-2008, 12:00 AM
2nd Gear

yessss sir haha

Old 01-14-2008, 12:02 AM
1st Gear

Fair enough... So then I guess the problems you are experiencing are just a fluke, in which case, it's totally your bad luck (*rolls eyes*). BTW,your 2007 X3 hasn't given you any problems in 15k miles, huh? Well that's quite the accomplishment, but if you are so confident in German reliability I probably would've set the standards a little higher for the sake ofthis argument. I'm also curious as to how many miles are on the 993...

I don't wish to start a battle here, but I think it's safe to say most people consider German-made vehicles to be better performers but less reliable than their Japanese competitors.By all means, I emplore you to show me some supporting evidence that suggests Germancars "are known for their reliability"... Keep in mind, I never said they can't be reliable, or that some brands aren't better than others, just that they aren't known for it.

Queue: www.Consumerreports.org

p.s. a little side story to wet your noodle. I bought my 2001.5 S4 last December with only ~12,320 miles on it - yeah, 12K!!!It was garage-kept and babied by the original owner. However, knowing what I was about to purchase, and researching all the horror stories from other Audi owners, I purchased a 7yr 100k mile extended warranty too(obviously the original factory warranty is expired). Well, not even two months after I owned it, Itook it in for an oil leaksmell that turned out to be a bad rear main seal, bad coolant temp sensor, and leakingheadlamp washer pump($2,800.00USD). Since then, I have revisited my friendly dealership (which reminds me: I have an appointment this Friday to repair my rocking seat, blown rear speaker, and sqeeking glove box!!!) two more times for small things here and there. I sure can't wait for the Turbo Lady to come a knockin'

edit: but no matter what, I still loooooooove my S4 (*pets dash board repeatedly*)

Old 01-14-2008, 06:45 AM
1st Gear

i often smell oil in my s4 sometimes not for a couple of days and sometimes 2-3times a day, is this a common problem the rear main seal???

Quick Reply: Dissapointed