S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Engine pull in progress...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 09:48 PM
Default Engine pull in progress...

Well, unfortunately my passenger side turbo started to whine about 2 weeks ago.Remembering reading about how much dealers and independent jobbers wanted for a turbo swap; I knew that I would be doing this myself.
I've been researching as many Audi sites as Ican findto absorb as muchknowledge as Ican about theK04 swap. It hasn't gotten to the "screaming babies" or smoking stage yet. It just makes the dentist drill noise with no perfomance loss. How fast will it progress? I don't know. But I figured I might as well start ordering stuff and getting prepared. It's not my daily driver so I've got all the time in the world to do whatever I need to while it's apart.
I started tearing into it at about noon today and decided to stop at about 6:00.It'sready to pull except the halfshafts are still attached. Mytriple square sockets won't be here till Tues. So my brother is going to come over to give me a handpulling it when they come.
Here's a list of what I've ordered so far. If anyone has any suggestions for additional items please tell me.
- RS4 engine mounts
- timing belt kit w/ extras (blauparts)
- valve cover gasket kit
- snub mount w/ bracket (034 motorsports)
- red samco hosekit
- bothupstream o2 sensors
- camlock bar and crank pin
- and of couse k04s and upper pipes
Here are some pics so far. The 2nd is the most recent obviously.
Notice the pic of the timing belt is this normal or coming apart?

Old 10-07-2007, 10:28 AM
Default RE: Engine pull in progress...

I would put a set of intercoolers on sence you have it all apart and if you plan on going to a full stage 3 car some day I have a set on APR smic and there great.I would also get some down pipes they are a lot better to put it wile you are putting the motor back in and the let your turbos breath better

Old 10-07-2007, 02:57 PM
1st Gear

Make sure you do all new sensors and seals, it will make a huge difference when your motor can analyze itself correctly! You don't want any **** ups with new parts!! It's so annoying to waste money when you don't need too and you just spent a shitload fixing the problems and you get more than you bargained for!

Old 10-07-2007, 08:24 PM
1st Gear

Nice pictures. How many miles on the timing belt / turbos?

Dave

Old 10-07-2007, 09:12 PM
2nd Gear

yeah i would definitely be doing the intercoolers either apr or awe are both proven to be sufficient for the k04's..i'd also be doing downpipes since it is all aprt now and if you have read you should know they are a PITA to do with it together about a 8 hour job if you know what your doing when it is together mine as well now that its apart.. quick and easy to do with it apart..

but whatever you do goodluck with it and i love the laser red s4 i wish i could have found one when i bought mine..[:@]

Old 10-07-2007, 09:41 PM

Well sounds like the general consensus so far is intercoolers, downpipes, seals and sensors. Sounds like a good plan. The turbos and belt have 60k on them. I was upset that the turbo already gave up( but not surprised from what I've read ) it's only been on APRstage 1 for 4,000 miles. I also forgot to mention that my car is TIP. I'll update my sig. to read it. I know the downpipes are different for a TIP. Are they as readily available?
I appreciate all the feedback. I guess I'd better get searching for some more parts.
I have a ton of pics of the teardown so far and plan to take a ton more. Some are just closeups of stuff for my reference so they aren't as interesting. But I'll look through them and share any that are post-worthy.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:08 PM
2nd Gear

Are you using process described in the Bentley manual? I didn't find their removal procedure to be very descriptive. On that note, does the engine have to come out completely for a turbo swap (cherry picker and all)? I'm afraid my turbos are on the same path and am contemplating doing the swap myself, but I don't have a cherry picker. Also, anyone have an estimate on the cost, assuming I replace all of the recommended parts (turbos, timing belt, intercoolers, engine mounts etc...)? I've found a set of K04s for about $2600.

Thanks