S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Evo 8 MR

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 03:19 PM
1st Gear
Default Evo 8 MR

Hey guys, there is a red evo 8 mr edition at a car lot near my house, and my dad knows the guy that owns the place. So im gonna go buy and drive it today! It is SWEET, its got apexi exhaust, and dark bbs wheels that i can see. But ive got a lil trick up my sleeve, im gonna drive my car and leave it at the McDonalds down the road, and then hop in with my dad and go to the car lot, then when the guy hands over the keys we r gonna go back and pic up my car and run em! haha, ive never ran a evo, but i guess we will c what happens

Old 05-21-2006, 04:20 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Evo 8 MR

that MR is going to have some serious power. but with the chip u should be able to keep up with it pretty good. let us know how it goes

Old 05-22-2006, 02:15 AM
2nd Gear

I walked all over a brand new EVO the other day...but then again I'm stage III...still - I can't get that "whoa" comment out of my head that I heard him say just as I was flying past him like he was standing still...

Old 05-23-2006, 03:09 PM
4th Gear

ya that Evo MR is serious stuff.

Old 05-23-2006, 04:15 PM
1st Gear

At the risk of sounding like a troll, everytime I see people on these kinds of boards talking about beating a WRX STi or an EVO with their S4's I can't help but think it's not an even match. And most of the time the Evos and STis do better. The reason I'm saying this is those cars are 4 cylinder cars, whereas the S4 is V6 or V8 (depending on the year) so beating a car by having nearly twice as much cylinders is not a great accomplishment.

On the other hand, I really wish that Audi would come up with a properly fast rally-type car (i.e. V4, engine capacity less than or equal to 2.0 liters, etc). After all they made the best rally cars back in the 80's!

Old 05-23-2006, 04:25 PM
1st Gear

People buy the cars they want and try to race. Are you saying if I beat an RX-8 I shouldn't feel thats an accomplishment just because he has 1.3L? that totally defeats the purpose of racing different cars. If a rustang beats me with his v-8 I don't chalk it up to him having 2 more cylinders (even though I do have 2 turbos ) just that his car was faster. But, an STi is supposed to run 13.2 or 13.3 in the 1/4 stock isnt it? then hell yea its an accomplishment since my b5 stock time is around 14.2, and I'm much heavier than him. plus I thikn the audi looks much nicer flying past

Old 05-23-2006, 04:34 PM
1st Gear

I agree that people are going to try and race regardless of the class of cars they have. But to me, the 4-cylinder car producing 300+ hp is more of a technological achievement than the V8 Mustang!

Having said that my only point was lamenting that Audi does not make performance rally cars any more (those that come with a lot of power stock). I know people with A4's that produce 300+ hp... but that's after a heavy modding session!

And I agree that the Audi looks a lot better flying past. (or parked beside the STi.. )

Old 05-23-2006, 05:43 PM
Site Moderator

I dont mean to sound like a jerk..but thats a pretty dumb statement. First of all.. displacement by no means is a measure of speed amount of cylinders... There is a lot of factors going to speed. Secondly... just cause it has a smaller engine..it IS making more hp than our cars are... and we are heavier. Those cars are designed purely to go fast with no goodies.

Now, just to say that a car has a smaller engine and is producing more hp than another means its more of a technological achievement..i dont get?? why.. audi isnt designing for purely speed. They went for a mixture of power and luxury and comfort. STi/EVO are going for pure speed. people race these cars because they are similar fairly close performing awd performance sedans. hp is hp with weight and that is your measure of a car..not its engine.

Old 05-23-2006, 07:30 PM
1st Gear

I could go into detail why displacement would affect HP. For example, more fuel being combusted at any given time, producing more of a bigger "explosion" thus producing more pressure from the extra gas created, and hence more HP.

Now, if displacement was not a measure of the class of cars, why would rallying have restrictions on the displacement of the cars? After all, a car with V8 but 300 hp should also be allowed to race against the likes of STi and Evo....

On the subject of technological achievement, the reason I say that is because getting so much horsepower out of such a small engine is an accomplishment. For example, the Mustang GT has a 4.6L V8 engine that produces 300 hp. That means roughly 65 bhp per litre of displacement. Whereas the Evo 9 MR has 2.0L V4 with 286 bhp. That means 143 bhp per litre of displacement. I'll leave it to you to decide which car achieves a higher degree of efficiency, etc.

I will agree with replies to my post that cars such as the EVO and the S4 are equals (in the performance dept) and fun to race against each other, and I don't disagree that Audi is a level or two above these cars when it comes to fit and finish.

Anyway guys, didn't mean to get into a holy war here.. enjoy your day...

Old 05-23-2006, 08:27 PM
Site Moderator

no holy war...just a friendly little debate.... [8D]

I understand the fact of displacement and the ability of having more of it to produce more horsepower. Im saying its really irrelevant. 300 hp = 300 hp. whether its from a v8 or a I4. I wouldnt say it is more of a technological achievement (although kind of yes youre right, it is in a sense that they are getting great power from a small engine...) because its not really the same cause your getting benefit from the turbo.. so its not really on a per cylinder basis.. its kind of like say... Im in a foot race against a 5 year old. Yea, im bigger, stronger and have longer legs.. but say that the 5 year old is on a moving walkway thats going at 10mph... our legs being our cylinders arent really the total package ya know. (Not a graet analogy, but makes my point).

It raelly only is a comparison when something is being pushed at the same force while weighing the same.