S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Experience drifting in TIP S4's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 01:31 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Experience drifting in TIP S4's?

haha thanks for the advice guys.
hey 2k, when you meant if my car was set up for it what'd you mean by that? suspension? cuz isnt the S4 already pretty good for curves (if not drifting)? O.o

and no reid i DEF dont wanna crash the car, but the reason I wanna try is I've beat many people up the road (vettes, bimmers, etc) but I can't beat my friend who has a STI.

I noticed some of you guys recommended high speed driving schools. I know two around my area that will charge me $200 that teach me better techniques on handling BUT no drifting =/
I've also considered audi's driving school but can anyone who've gone tell me what did you learn and is it worth it??

Old 12-29-2007, 03:11 AM
2nd Gear

The car is AWD... aka not really ment to drift. Sure you can some what powerslide/wash out a corner but dont get your hopes up for some tokyo drift action! I would say dont but thats just me

Old 12-29-2007, 03:38 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: lazyjayz
and no reid i DEF dont wanna crash the car, but the reason I wanna try is I've beat many people up the road (vettes, bimmers, etc) but I can't beat my friend who has a STI.

I noticed some of you guys recommended high speed driving schools. I know two around my area that will charge me $200 that teach me better techniques on handling BUT no drifting =/
I've also considered audi's driving school but can anyone who've gone tell me what did you learn and is it worth it??
I'm sure you'd get a lot out of a driving school, and $200 is cheap especially compared to the cost of the car. Should be pocket change, right?

What I don't understand is what drifting has to do with beating your friend in an STI. Drifting is NOT the fastest way around a corner. If your buddy in the STI is faster, maybe his car is just way quicker than yours, but odds are the cars are relatively equal and he's just a better driver... and you'd learn how to be a better driver at a performance driving school.

You could probably get your car to drift if you had a stiffer back end, put the car in your manual mode and held some low gear (2nd?), and especially if you had the Stasis center diff (assuming they have one for the B7). But frankly, your car's gonna generate so much grip with good tires and AWD that you'll have a tough time breaking it loose.

The reason RWD cars have an advantage in drifting is that they can do it at much lower speeds by just breaking the rear end loose under power, well below the cornering limits of the car. So in most of those cars, once you lift off the gas, the car straightens out and on you go. In an AWD car you're going to have to be right on the very edge of the limit on all 4 tires, travelling VERY fast (especially in the dry), and you'll simply lose it if you make a mistake. It'll be way less forgiving than an overpowered, under-tired RWD car.

I still don't really get the point. I used to slide my M3 around in the rain all the time without reservation because it was so easy to do, but frankly, despite that experience (plus several years in my new car + 2 seasons autocross), I won't do it in my current RWD BMW because it is simply too twitchy for me to be able to trust myself with it. I've pulled off (and saved) some wicked slides in autocross, but I won't do it on the street for anything. In an AWD car, you'd be WAY more at the limit still, because the only way to do it is to be inches from disaster. I bet there are a lot of drifters out there who wouldn't try to drift an AWD car on the street if you PAID them.

If you want to learn, get a RWD beater (maybe a pickup with an LSD? ).

Old 12-30-2007, 12:19 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: reidconti

I'm sure you'd get a lot out of a driving school, and $200 is cheap especially compared to the cost of the car. Should be pocket change, right?

What I don't understand is what drifting has to do with beating your friend in an STI. Drifting is NOT the fastest way around a corner. If your buddy in the STI is faster, maybe his car is just way quicker than yours, but odds are the cars are relatively equal and he's just a better driver... and you'd learn how to be a better driver at a performance driving school.

You could probably get your car to drift if you had a stiffer back end, put the car in your manual mode and held some low gear (2nd?), and especially if you had the Stasis center diff (assuming they have one for the B7). But frankly, your car's gonna generate so much grip with good tires and AWD that you'll have a tough time breaking it loose.

The reason RWD cars have an advantage in drifting is that they can do it at much lower speeds by just breaking the rear end loose under power, well below the cornering limits of the car. So in most of those cars, once you lift off the gas, the car straightens out and on you go. In an AWD car you're going to have to be right on the very edge of the limit on all 4 tires, travelling VERY fast (especially in the dry), and you'll simply lose it if you make a mistake. It'll be way less forgiving than an overpowered, under-tired RWD car.

I still don't really get the point. I used to slide my M3 around in the rain all the time without reservation because it was so easy to do, but frankly, despite that experience (plus several years in my new car + 2 seasons autocross), I won't do it in my current RWD BMW because it is simply too twitchy for me to be able to trust myself with it. I've pulled off (and saved) some wicked slides in autocross, but I won't do it on the street for anything. In an AWD car, you'd be WAY more at the limit still, because the only way to do it is to be inches from disaster. I bet there are a lot of drifters out there who wouldn't try to drift an AWD car on the street if you PAID them.

If you want to learn, get a RWD beater (maybe a pickup with an LSD? ).
unforutnately reid, I'm a college student and I've spent most of my money on performance mods so 200$ is actually alot right now lol

from all the input i'm getting from you guys, I think i'm gonna stay on the safe side and just forget this drifting business heh especialy since the car is a tip and not a manul =/

as for the driving school, is anyone apart of the audi club of north america?? I'm thinking if I should join it or not

Old 01-03-2008, 08:41 AM
2nd Gear

I'll just power my B5 sideways. just hit the throttle...Practice in a parking lot first. I also use the winter as practice... What you gotta try is perfect donuts.. I never thought I would get it to do it but she loves it. I wont do it any more because I feel too bad but man it is fun

Old 01-03-2008, 01:37 PM
3rd Gear

hey 2k, when you meant if my car was set up for it what'd you mean by that? suspension? cuz isnt the S4 already pretty good for curves (if not drifting)? O.o
As stated drifting is the slowest way around most corners. It's also one of the hardest things to learn. I bet you are not even a "smooth" driver.

Yes, the whole car needs to be set up, with suspension, sway bars, tires, alignments, etc...
A good corner carver, is not a good drifter.

Take the $200 school, you will be more then $200 in mods faster, & more importantly, but safer, so you don't "drift" your car into mine, cuz you got no skills.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:24 PM

I can kinda see the STI thing, they have an adjustable diff (ive been in one while my friend, the driver drifted it around several corners) its fun, but I really wouldn't want to jepoardize my car so much.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:14 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: 2k S4

As stated drifting is the slowest way around most corners. It's also one of the hardest things to learn. I bet you are not even a "smooth" driver.

Yes, the whole car needs to be set up, with suspension, sway bars, tires, alignments, etc...
A good corner carver, is not a good drifter.

Take the $200 school, you will be more then $200 in mods faster, & more importantly, but safer, so you don't "drift" your car into mine, cuz you got no skills.
umm thanks for the advice guys.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:40 PM

1. sure as **** you can use the e-brake...if you got the *****.
2. lift, brake, turn
3. scandanavian flick
4. take lessons from Tiff Needell http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVVrP...eature=related

Or you could just go buy a 240