S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

F*$&!!! Boost leaks!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 09:47 AM
2nd Gear

Well i checked the tee that cracked and its the one that is parallel with the electrical plug but on the other side...theres one that goes straight down and one that is right underneath the connector on the solenoid n75?? i guess..the one that hp pointed out.... but all of my connections seem good and the connector itself was secure...
now as for the diverter valves...i put vacuum to them both and they held well...so then i put compressed air to the passenger one (the old one) and the poor little feller gave out...obviously 80 psi was way too much...didnt think about that at the time...so oh well...got a new one coming and will invest in some from apr in a few pay checks from now...
and im pretty sure these are k03 turbos...im just wondering if i can trust the sunpro boost gauge that i bought... i know it acts a lil squirrelly on the vacuum end... it just drives me nuts to hear that leak in first gear when i really get on it... if i stay in stock mode it does fine...dont hear the boost leak or anything...oh well...thanks for the pointers...

Old 11-07-2008, 10:09 AM
3rd Gear

Mechanical boost gauges have a small range of error but it should work fine.

I mentioned it in the first post, but did you pressure test to find the leaks?

Old 11-07-2008, 12:34 PM
2nd Gear

I have no way to check it...i do have a cylinder leak down tester...i guess just rig a way to get it to mate with my intake? what would u suggest?

Old 11-07-2008, 01:24 PM
2nd Gear

Could the noise im hearing be the diverter valves letting excess boost out? or is relieving boost under full throttle strictly the job of the wastegates?

Old 11-07-2008, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by bigern45
Could the noise im hearing be the diverter valves letting excess boost out? or is relieving boost under full throttle strictly the job of the wastegates?
Diverter valve possibly, yes.

Wastgates, no. They just direct the exhaust gasses either over the exhaust turbine or out the tail pipe. They control turbine shaft speed that way. They don't see any "unused" boost.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:28 PM
1st Gear

Im having the same problem you are...

Stock my boost is ok but when im on chipped mode my boost is at 14-15 instead of 16-17 with spikes of 18-19 and i have giac x.

I ordered n75 race and 710n's and will be installing them when they come. So i think its the n75 so i will let you know if everything is working once i install.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:52 PM
2nd Gear

yeah.. that would be cool.. ive got a set up at work that im trying to use to locate this boost leak... take off the y intake pipe and insert small aerosol cans in the the two tubes that go down to the turbos, one on each side. use cans that fit very closely and tighten down the clamps around the cans to get a proper seal. then take out the boost sensor in the throttle body boot and insert a tightly fitting vacuum wedge with a small passage that you would find in a good vacuum testing kit. then i cut a lot of excess rubber off of a tire valve stem and fit it tightly in the wedge. then get an air chuck with a psi reading and start giving pressure.. after a very short period a system with no leaks should build up pressure with no blow off, unless there is a solenoid tied into the system that will allow air to pass freely while having an open circuit or not commanded on. mine is building up but then losing it quickly. so im hoping this is a good way to find a leak.. tomorrow ill follow all air passages with a stethescope and see if i can find some leaks..

Old 11-07-2008, 08:34 PM

Perform a leak test. AWE tuning has a picture for refernce if you build one. Its very easy to make one. And when you make it, detach the accordian hose from the intake box to the Y pipe and clamp it there. Also make sure the regulator on your air compressor is turned only to 15ish psi or somethings will be blown off.

Last edited by drev500@aol.com; 11-07-2008 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:24 AM
2nd Gear

or diverter valves will be ruptured..lol...

Old 11-08-2008, 07:23 AM
2nd Gear

i think i have a setup that will work properly at this point.. but i went ahead and bought the awe pressure tester so that next time itll be slightly easier and less rigging involved when i think i have a boost leak. thanks for all your help fellers.. ill let you know what i find today.. im fearing intercoolers..

Quick Reply: F*$&!!! Boost leaks!!!!