S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

F*$&!!! Boost leaks!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 05:34 PM
2nd Gear

okay.. i have 3 different leaks that showed up when i did the pressure test...NONE OF THEM WAS MY INTERCOOLERS!!!...

(1) the accordian style hookup that goes into the y intake pipe. towards the firewall in the back opposite side of the 3 inch intake hose. its part of the pcv system i think. it goes down into a larger junction in the middle rear of the engine under the intake manifold. is that normal?? does anyone know how to fix it?

(2) there are 2 symmetrical hoses that run parallel with the intake tubes that run over the valve cover gaskets(the tubes that make up the y intake pipe). they are about 3/8 inch thick vacuum tube that go into metal lines in the mangled mess bolted on the top of the intake manifold. those leaks where fixed simply by installing new clamps.

(3) my number 3 cylinder injector o-ring is leaking!!! i guess i pinched it when reinstalling the manifold after my auxiliary water pump went out or the rubber in the o-ring is just so old it gave.. i blocked off the leak coming from the accordian style pcv line and heard a leak coming from under the intake close to the injector.. so i took some watered down 409 and sprayed to see if it would be obvious.. much to my surprise.. the injector was bubbling bad. lol.. the pressure continued to drop till about 5 psi of pressure was left.. so this would probably also explain why im only getting about 18 inches of mercury with a warm engine..

k guys.. thanks for all the help.. im gonna repair these leaks and get back to you on the performance..

Old 11-09-2008, 04:50 PM
2nd Gear

okay.. from what i hear the bleed off in the accordian style hose that is part of the pcv is normal.. im gonna fix the o-ring for the injector and ill retest.. and then repost..

Old 11-10-2008, 12:37 PM
2nd Gear

okay...fixed the injector oring leaks, replaced them all and lubricated them with dielectric grease. vacuum and boost leak appears gone... 20 in. hg on a warm engine.... then full boost in first gear and it peaks at right under 15 psi.... and again i hear tbe same rustling noise again. shift to second and my boost spike is at 19 instead of 22, and the same in third and fourth..and i only hear the rustling in second gear,so it and only first is were i hear it in.... my question now is since ive possibly eliminated our boost leaks do you tnink the noise could be air rushing in the intake? possibly need a better air filter?? or a cold air high flow intake?? ive got a new K&N air filter... im just wondering if theres anything else possibly bad with my car

Old 11-10-2008, 03:00 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Sounds like its better if your spike is lower, the best way to tell is find a buddy with a VAG-com and run the car with it hooked up. good luck man i just went through a shitstorm of boostleaks and sensor problems, the vagcom and boost leak tester are your best friends, along with this forum

Old 11-10-2008, 03:39 PM
2nd Gear

Well... i have the boost leak tester coming from awe... it should be here in a few days...im hoping that will put my mind to rest.... im so paranoid , ive done so much to this car in the last month for it not to run perfect... blah.. i have a silicone throttle boot coming... and ill retest for boost leaks when its installed
anyone else out there with an apr tune or something similar that can give me a description of sounds and boost level at a WOT pull would be awesome..along with the gear selected....this rustling noise is making me nuts...and it could just be air rushing in the intake?? is that a possibility?? ill try and get a video along with the noises and post them on youtube...so i can get some more diag help... how much is a vag com... is it the audi/vw scan tool??

Old 11-11-2008, 09:00 PM

Have you performed a "darintake" mod? (Drilled the bottom of the box)

When all I had was a 93 oct. APR tune and k03s, my boost spiked to the high teens also. Unless it's running like sh*t, I wouldn't fret too much bud.

Regardless, let us know how the next pressure test goes.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:15 PM
2nd Gear

You mean put a bigger hole in the air box to provide more flow? no i have not...could u explain more the process and why this is performed?

Old 11-12-2008, 09:42 PM

I only ask because they can sometimes cause extra intake suction sound under acceleration.

Just do a search for Darintake. I believe the actual original post from Darin in like 2002 is on Audiworld so you could search there also.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:59 PM
2nd Gear

How come the OP didn't return to update with the boost leak test?!!