S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Factory Speaker Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 12:24 PM
1st Gear
Default Factory Speaker Replacement

Hey guys, wanted to see if anyone had advice on replacing speakers on a 2KS4. The front passenger speaker has recently started having some serious issues and so I want to replace it with something sensible that will just allow me to listen to the radio at normal volumes. In other words, nothing that needs to blow the doors off.

I was considering a pair of speakers for the front by Alpine, the Type-S 600's. When I called Best Buy to check on them and see about installation costs, etc. The guy on the phone told me that these would be the wrong impedance and I would likely have to replace my whole system, HU and all. This seems like some serious overkill, but knowing that anything that goes wrong with this car costs me 1K, I'm not as skeptical as I once was.

My questions is this: is replacing the whole system really the only alternative to living with a blown speaker or are there aftermarket speakers that would fit w/o having to replace everything else?

When it comes to electronics, I'm completely green, so any input would be really useful and appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:14 PM
3rd Gear

When I had a B5, I replaced the front speakers with Alpines and it made a world of difference. I used these:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500SPS1...ures_and_specs

The impedance on the ones you mentioned shouldn't be an issue since it wasn't with me (my speakers were also 4 Ohm), but what will be an issue is the size. I don't have any sites to reference, but I know I found some good stuff by searching around on Google. You'd probably have fitment issues with 6.5" speakers. With mine, I just fabricated (cut with scissors) a bracket out of some thick corrugated cardboard. (Cut cardboard to fit speaker mount in door, cut hole to accommodate speaker, attached speaker to cardboard with screws, screwed the cardboard to the car's speaker mounts).

There's a lot of stuff that I learned how to do on my car that I won't ever do again (oil changes, engine mounts), but I would replace door speakers all day long. It's EASY. Tools required are a screwdriver and scissors.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:51 PM
1st Gear

What did you end up doing?