S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Fastest S4? or bomb?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 04:34 AM
Default RE: Fastest S4? or bomb?

ORIGINAL: Deb38

Ok, then find the plumbing for inlets, downpipes, and get a tune..

It would be cheaper to weld new flanges onto your exhaust piping than to buy a VAST gt28r kit. And a tune for gt28rs is no more expensive than a tune for stage 3?

Old 01-14-2008, 10:52 AM
1st Gear

Hey, Red1, did that S4 in the youtube link have race gas? Probably had stickies, right? Is there anyone who knows what that blue S4 has in mods?

HP Addict, how come it would be a bad daily driver? Obviously the gutted interior... but any other reason? I really am looking for a monster daily driver.

Woodhead, are the gt28rs better than RS6 turbos? or RS6 hybrid turbos? How much HP do the gt28rs put to the wheel?

back to the sequential turbo thing... so everyone thinks it's a bad idea? If so is it because the S4 can't put all the power down or it's not worth the money or...?

Oh yeah, has anyone heard of wicked motorsports? Their web address: http://wicked-motorsports.net/Click projects. What did they do to that car?

Old 01-14-2008, 12:39 PM
3rd Gear

I say it would be bad as a daily driver because the interior is completely gutted. Im sure you could use it, but it only has one racing seat, no dash no windows, no airbag, etc..
Name:  Screenshot_1.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  27.6 KB

ATP was going to make kits but im not sure if they scrapped the project or if theyre out. This is what they said,

HP lineup will be:
Eliminator GT2X - 500HP
Eliminator GT28R - 600HP
Eliminator GT28RS - 700HP
Eliminator GT2871R - 800HP

The Garrett turbos will produce more power than the rs6 turbos. And its not just the price of turbos, if it was i would have gt28's. A k04 kit is so good because it is relyable and will produce fair power WITHOUT exceding many of your stock components. Yes, you can replace them anyway and be stage 3 + but you dont HAVE to. From a stage 2 like i am all i need to buy is the $5500 turbo and fueling kit.

When you get bigger turbos like garretts chances are they dont fit in the stock location so all of the plumbing has to be custom done. you WILL need intercoolers and good downpipes. Also because garrets give more boost you need fuel to match, that means no rs4 components in your fueling, better fuel pump and much bigger injectors, then think about intake too. If your running 600+ HP you WILL need a heavy duty clutch and it probably wont be too much fun in traffic. Brakes are essential. You also may end up wanting a new transmission and i have no idea how the internal engine components will fair. You will almost certainly have to build up the engine and heads. However the power would be astonishing.

I just feel that the K04's are the easiest and cheapest option. However i am saying that as a poor college student. if you can afford to send your car to VAST and get it done nicely do it! It would be one of the nastiest s4's ever.

Yeah i have heard of WMS and that blacked out s4 is amazing. Im not sure what turbos are on there, i think they have had several different ones. In my opinion id go VAST, WMS lists vast as a supplier....

Sequential turbos: At low rpm's all of the exhaust goes to a small turbo to spool it quickly, then at a preset boost or rpm a valve opens allowing exhaust to pre spool the large turbo. Then soon after it is fully open and both turbos are boosting. If you want to go sequential you will need completely custom exhaust headers and downpipes, different turbo placement, valves, and a completely custom and very complex tune to handle the 2 different sized turbochargers. Way more effort than its worth when you can just parallel twin turbo it like stock. If you tried to put 2 different size turbos on in a parallel twin turbo method it would stress the small turbo trying to get the requested boost.

All in All its more than bolting on some big turbos, theres alot to it. If you build it up right, as im sure vast would strongly encourage you to do, it can be a MONSTER. And AWD will help alot in putting the power to the ground, but with that much power you shouldn't be over-aggressive in launching.

My goal is to build a very solid K04 car. The AWE kit is rated at 460 HP and 530HP on race gas at the crank. I will be putting ER intercoolers on it (same as the WMS car), AWE downpipes, then some goodies like exhaust manifold, rs4 cams, high bias diff, porsche brakes form ecs. With a good tune from vast the HP will go up and maybe some minor weight reduction to make it feel faster. Theres nothing wrong with a 500HP daily driver That still has leather, power windows, sun roof, etc.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:53 PM
3rd Gear

If over 400w torque & a full STREET car in the 11's is to slow, then just get another car......

Old 01-14-2008, 12:55 PM
3rd Gear

DING DING DING!!!!! [sm=exactly.gif]

Old 01-14-2008, 10:34 PM

ORIGINAL: HP Addict

that car is almost 900lbs lighter than a stock s4. What again did i say about weight reduction?

Only problem is that the car in that video is in no way useable as a daily driver.
I'm the owner of the car in the video. It's best pass to date is a 10.73@132.76 which was done on a 85 degree day with 100% humidity.

It was my daily driver for a good part of 2007 where it racked up 15,000 miles. If you can live without the amenities, it's actually a pretty docile daily driver. I've gotten over 30 MPG on the highway. It starts and runs perfectly with perfect driveability, idle, etc. The car is also very reliable. A lot of this can be attributed to the weight reduction.

It's a more or less stock S4 with 4 or 5 bolt-ons (including the OEM RS4 turbos) and a ton of weight reduction. The motor including the heads, cams, pistons, rods, crank, etc. are all 100% original and bone stock. The exhaust manifolds are stock. The ignition system and engine management are stock. No nitrous.

The car was built on a budget with only two things in mind: performance and $$$. As of this writing, I have approximately $10,200 into it including what I paid for the car itself. This is due in part to sponsorships, selling parts off the car that were removed for weight reduction, etc, etc.

For '08 I've changed a few things around with the car and hope to run a 10.3 to 10.4 in cooler weather.

I hope this helps clear up any confusion.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:45 PM
1st Gear

Wow! 11secS4! That's some killer car you put together for pretty cheap! Those are among the best numbers I've seen! When you ran that 10.73 @132.76did you use race gas? Did you use stickies? Also, what do you think about sequential turbos? HP addict laid out some good info.

By the way, thanks HP addict. You put some things in perspective for me. I'm going to find VAST on the net, see what they offer.

Does anyone else know more about the S4 project car made by wicked motorsports? They say it makes 900hp, but is that with pump gas? Probably not? 900 to the wheel? It's on http://wicked-motorsports.net Click on the PROJECT hyperlink.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:00 AM

ORIGINAL: a4audia4

Wow! 11secS4! That's some killer car you put together for pretty cheap! Those are among the best numbers I've seen! When you ran that 10.73 @132.76did you use race gas? Did you use stickies? Also, what do you think about sequential turbos? HP addict laid out some good info.

By the way, thanks HP addict. You put some things in perspective for me. I'm going to find VAST on the net, see what they offer.

Does anyone else know more about the S4 project car made by wicked motorsports? They say it makes 900hp, but is that with pump gas? Probably not? 900 to the wheel? It's on http://wicked-motorsports.net Click on the PROJECT hyperlink.
Yep, I was using race gas on the 10.73 pass.

I run stock size drag radials which I also run on the street. That's one nice thing about AWD... You don't go through tires really fast like you would with a fast RWD car.

Sequential turbos are typically used in factory applications to reduce turbo lag. I've never heard of a sequential setup that made any kind of serious power. Most of the Supra and RX7 guys get rid of the twins and go single.

I know a bit about the Wicked car. It started life as the KTR single turbo S4. KTR broke tons of stuff with it (mosty off the line) and were never able to get a clean pass in the car, so they parted it out and sold the shell to Wicked.

Wicked built the motor up and went with manifolds and downpipes from Vast which were designed for Garrett Dual Ball Bearing turbos. Mike @ Wicked went with GT2871R turbos and an 034 standalone engine management system. The highest dyno I recall seeing for the car was somewhere in the low 600's on race gas. The car was extremely inconsistent and unreliable. It broke often and was never able to break out of the 11's. Here's a video of what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb5XHcpeqOA

That was a flywheel failure which supposedly took out the trans AND $#*!*@'d up the motor!

A few months ago Mike parted it out and sold the manifolds/downpipes to my buddy VelocityS4 (Jeff) down in FL. He's now in the midst of going with GT turbos on his S4. It should be a beast.

You really can't beat K04s because of how they bolt right up, offer quick spool up and plentiful low end torque, are easy to tune, etc, etc not to mention with GT turbos you really need to build the motor ($$$$$). I'm real happy with my car because of how torquey it is, how reliable it is (all that weight reduction REALLY makes it bulletproof in terms of drag racing), how cheap it is, how simple it is, etc, etc.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:03 AM

Here are some more recent vids of my S4 in action if any of you guys are interested in watching them:

http://www.titsup-racing.com/video/s4/s4_vs_r6.wmv
http://www.titsup-racing.com/video/s4/s4_10_73.wmv

Old 01-15-2008, 01:18 AM

ORIGINAL: The Garrett turbos will produce more power than the rs6 turbos. And its not just the price of turbos, if it was i would have gt28's. A k04 kit is so good because it is relyable and will produce fair power WITHOUT exceding many of your stock components. Yes, you can replace them anyway and be stage 3 + but you dont HAVE to. From a stage 2 like i am all i need to buy is the $5500 turbo and fueling kit.

When you get bigger turbos like garretts chances are they dont fit in the stock location so all of the plumbing has to be custom done. you WILL need intercoolers and good downpipes. Also because garrets give more boost you need fuel to match, that means no rs4 components in your fueling, better fuel pump and much bigger injectors, then think about intake too. If your running 600+ HP you WILL need a heavy duty clutch and it probably wont be too much fun in traffic. Brakes are essential. You also may end up wanting a new transmission and i have no idea how the internal engine components will fair. You will almost certainly have to build up the engine and heads. However the power would be astonishing.
Ok where to start. The garrett turbo's don't produce more powerthan k04's, they just have a higher airflow capacity which allows for the potential for more power. GT28R's, from everything i've heard, have no problem fitting in the stock location.

As for intercoolers, and good dp's, are you honestly telling me you wouldn't want to run these on a k04 setup? Stock or low flow dp's will kill the k04's and then you just wasted even more money.

Stock s4 fuel is good to a certain point but again, with k04's you're going to want to replace the fuel system anyway. If you run it on your stock fuel system, at it's capacity, something's likely to go out.

Clutch and brakes. Brakes are essential with pretty much any mods. Anyone will realize this their first time trying to slow down from 140-170mph. And you think the stock clutch will hold up to k04's? Keep dreaming. 400hp from your k04's is going to tear up an oem clutch almost as fast as the 500-600hp from the gt28r's.

I'm not saying they're for everyone. I'm just saying I don't see why more people with a little DIY skill don't take on the gt28r project. It's really no different or more expensive than a k04 project.

Quick Reply: Fastest S4? or bomb?