S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

First feedback on 2005 S4

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 02:09 AM
1st Gear
Default First feedback on 2005 S4

Well guys, now that I have some 1,000 miles behind me, I can share my first impressions on this car. I figured it might help to provide feedback on this board, and since this is my 3rd Audi, I am very familiar with the brand.
I won't comment much on the looks, exterior and interior as we all know what that looks like (I love it). But let's talk about the driving experience. First and foremost, I don't know about you, but I am a sucker for big V-8 power. With 340HP on tap, this is a serious small sedan and this power is readily available. However, if you are in D, it is tame and refined, with serious down-kick required for passing (yes, there is a slight lag). Now in S mode, OMG, the beast comes alive! It is fast and the furious, yet very civilized. The speedo needle already touched 130 mph effortlessly! And that speed the car was super solid, I could still control the wheel with two fingers. This of course lasted less than 5 sec. but the point is it got there with no sweat and almost too calm. The manual mode is very much like S mode, although I didn't push pass 6K rpm, so there is another 1K to go. But what impressed me the most is the handling and feedback from the road. Unlike my previous A6 (with the same V8 engine), this S4 is tuned to perfection! Recaro seats hold you nicely, no sliding from these puppies! Steering might feel a bit heavy, but that is how it should be, and suspension is very tight and firm. Heavy cornering produces no body roll whatsoever, and going through windy roads is almost as much fun as on my motorcycle! While this is not a cheap car by any standards ($52K as equipped), it is worth every penny for those of us who need some adrenaline boost even in our boring daily commute. Now, I wouldn't mind even more power, but I truly can't complain. The only thing I don't like is the sound. Why? Because there is no sound. This engine is so quiet, you wouldn't know what's under the hood. Than again, it is not meant to be loud, so I guess it is a good thing after all. I certainly don't want to be mistaken for some ricer with a big can. There you have it. And no, I do not work for Audi neither am I compensated in any shape or form for this feedback. Just a former rally driver who loves fast cars and fast bikes and now loves this car too.

Old 01-11-2005, 06:29 PM
6th Gear
Default RE: First feedback on 2005 S4

Glad you are enjoying your car Musculo. Wish I was in your place.