S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

GIAC on its way. Preparations?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 02:30 AM
1st Gear
Default GIAC on its way. Preparations?

I have a GIAC ECU for a 2000 S4 tiptronic (B-Box) Has all 5 programs: [/align] 1) Performance pump gas (default program)[/align] 2) Performance race gas (100+ octane req.)[/align] 3) Stock (same as what you have now)[/align] 4) Kill (anti-theft mode)[/align] 5) Valet (won't let the car go above 35 MPHJ)
I've only has my s4 for three weeks, and it is bone stock. DOes anyone have some preparation tips that I should take, before putting in the chip? I have a pretty much bumper to bumper after-market warrenty, and the S has only 57K miles on it. I am looking for things to make it run smoother or maintenance that should be done. Pretty much any thoughts on the subjuect would be appriciated
Thanks much

[/align]

Old 05-05-2008, 04:56 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: GIAC on its way. Preparations?

If you can afford it go full exhaust to get the full effect of the chip, and better intercoolers to keep them puppys cooler, oh and definatley get some Diverter valves as for the brand of exhaust it reallly up to you alot of people go with autospeeds tru dual or borla.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:37 AM
2nd Gear

^^ ahh thesimplicity of American english. everything in 1 sentence, lol.
anyways, your car has low miles which is great. You will need to do the timing belt water pump etc within 10K.
GIAC is a great chip and I also agree at looking for acatback exhaust w/ piggies if it's doable.
I also agree on getting new DV's if you already don't. the 710's are cheap and do the job, or you can get Forge or Bailey's DV's.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:55 AM
1st Gear

Pretty much what they said ^
You will love the GIAC

What other mods are you planning?

Old 05-05-2008, 09:58 AM
2nd Gear

preparations.......

Bank Account
Good MPG Daily Driver
Vag Com
Bently Manual
Work Space to do your own labor
New swear word dictionary
K04's
Audiforums/Audiworld/AudiDIY set as your homepages
ALOT OF FUN (when its 100%)
Sudden Audi liquid crack addiction

After you get that outta the way i think you should be all set.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:13 PM
1st Gear

^Everything everybody else said plus you might want to check your tbb too just incase, i have heard that it might cause some boost leaks im looking to get the GIAC sometime soon dont know when let me know how you like it, good luck!

Old 05-05-2008, 08:48 PM
2nd Gear

Also if someone asks if that puddle under the engine is oil. Say 'no, that's just sweat from all that horsepower!'

Old 05-05-2008, 08:57 PM
2nd Gear

hahaha i like that ^ that is what i will tell them at work next time it happens, oh also dont forget to upgrade your brakes when you start getting all this hp most people do.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:02 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I was definately gonna throw some 710's on, but what about the TBB. Would a bi-pipe in place of the TBB actually increase my performance, or is stock fine as long as it is good condition. I've had full cat-back exhuasts on every car I've ever owned (starting with a ford taurus station wagon[8D]), but I don't really have an extra $800 right away, and probibly more since I would do downpipes at the same time. Has anyone messed around with having a good shop custom bend a tru dual exhaust and/or the DP's? It seems like it might be a little cheaper, maybe bot. As far as intercoolers go, what is the general concessus(sp?) on going front mount? better or worse than upgraded side ic's? Or can you just add the front mount "in-line" and have three? I also want to figure out what to do with the intake. Does anyone have a link to a write-up for the original Darinintake? SHould I do this and add a cone filter? What about using one or both of the inlets in the front bumper to route more air in?
sweeds4: My warrenty uses this Edmunds website for the required maintenace http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/m...artner=edmunds
It doesn't call for me to replace my timing belt until 104,000 miles. I hope this means that if it fails before then, the warrenty company will take care of it. Here is my warrenty plan http://aaautowarranty.com/platinum.asp with the options; turbos, AWD, $0 deductible, and emissions(I already know my O2 sensors are bad so this hundred dollar option already paid for itself 5 times over).
TKneedsS4: s. When you said I would need a "Good MPG Daily Driver" Are you saying that it will sevearly ruin my gas mileage? Even on just the pump gas program?
SUpposedly I can just use the cable that connects the ecu to my laptop with VAG coms software or free program. I am hoping I can use this to recode my Tip to hold first. WHat about a trans cooler for the tip? Any experience with these? Kepp the good advice coming guys.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:16 AM
2nd Gear

TBB can be replaced with a Samco or 034 motorsports one. The bipipe good but just $$$.
You can get a customdual catback from an exhaust shop for around 3-400. Dp's are expensive. you could ask about them too!
FMIC's are great, but if you're in traffic a lot, it will overheat from the IC blocking the radiator. SMIC's are great too, AWE are good but ER IC's are the best as far as IAT's.
You don't have to worry about the intake. Maybe a K&N filter. There is a DIY writeup in the DIY secton!

Typically people do the TB around 70K. That is because they have no warrenty and if the TB and WP the engine could go also which is BIG $$! My car has been through 2 TB jobs.

What TK means is that the GIAC chip give such a great amount of power, that you;ll always want to be in boost and driving the car hard! If you drive it like a normal person drive a Kia, you'll be fine.