S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Looking for opinions on car purchase.(Not asking if S4 is good or not)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 03:24 PM
Default Looking for opinions on car purchase.(Not asking if S4 is good or not)

Hi all.

Well let me start off by saying this is my 1st post on this forum, or any audi forum.

I am a huge Subaru freak and I never thought I would be posting on an Audi forum. Some background info.

I own a 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS. I know I can't compare a Subaru to an Audi, but I am. Haha Here she is:

Name:  car3.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  42.8 KB
Name:  IMG_2668-1.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  115.3 KBName:  IMG_2667.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  104.6 KB
Name:  P7110604.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  61.2 KB

My 98 RS is my 1st Subaru, but my 2nd car and I LOVE it. I know what my car can be....eventually. I want to swap in a wrx motor(as my car is non turbo and makes 165hp....slow), throw on a larger turbo and have other plans, but this wont happen for a long time, because I can't have my car down for an extended period of time. It is really disheartening knowing I wont have the car the way I really want it for 3 maybe 4-5 years. As you probably know, the wrx is pretty quick, but the motor can only handle 300whp safely before you have to build the motor and Subaru trannys are week, unless you use the STI 6-Speed(which is a 5k upgrade)

My RS has 150k miles, and the motor is showing signs of starting to go. As sad as I would be seeing this car go, A newer car with a strong motor might be the way to go. I would honestly probably cry watching this car drive off haha.

But I am seriously considering putting my car up for sale after I save a few grand more, and either buying a wrx, or a 2000-2002 Audi S4.(I love subaru's and Audi's, I want to have a pretty quick car, and AWD is a must)

How does a stock 00-02 S4 compare to a stock wrx or even an STI(I have driven many Subaru's, but not an S4) Or even an A4 1.8t, how much power can be made reasonably, or is the s4 a better purchase.

Locally there is a 2000 s4 for sale, 117k miles, timing belt and water pump were done at 90k, not sure about the turbo's. He says he needs money, and he is asking $6900. And there are a few around 9k. Which is in the same price range as a used wrx.

I would like to try and get as unbiased of answers as I can, but I know how forums are! Sorry for the lengthy 1st post, but if you answer, thanks in advance!!

-Kowitz

Old 11-15-2009, 07:08 PM
2nd Gear

If you can find one with turbos already replaced then it will save you some headaches. Although the $6.9k isn't a bad deal, and may give you some extra money to fix those problems (not sure what your budget is). Just check out the FAQ, learn as much as you can about S4 problems and find one that's addressed as much of them as possible. More notably, at 100k or so miles look for control arms being replaced, coilpacks or ICM's, O2 sensors, auxiliary water pump, blah blah.

My friends all have WRX's/STI's and I decided to go the other route, haha. Actually my good friend has a red 9-2X which he got tuned at that shop in your first picture. Anyways, the S4 has gobs of torque and a bullet proof engine good for 500 whp. Only grip I have is the engine mounted in front of the axles and it being a bit heavy which hurts the handling. It's not as easy to glide into corners as a rex, but it still holds good speed and corner exits are great with all the mid range power. Which brings up the whole issue of 'lag' which is a big reason why I chose to go with an S4 instead of an STI when I was shopping.

There are a lot more small issues to be addressed when buying an S4, because they are not by any means cheap to maintain. However, all my friends who have ridden in my car wonder why they didn't buy an S4...

Old 11-15-2009, 07:15 PM
2nd Gear

BTW, an S4 with a lot of those issues addressed shouldn't cost more than 10k, you can even find some with new turbos for that price if you talk them down a bit. Just keep your eyes peeled for the best deals, I waited about a year before I bought my car.

And I love your 22B, beautiful car!

Old 11-15-2009, 07:39 PM

yah, I plan on finding one with as much done as far as maintenance goes. That is, if I decide to go this route.

Your friends 9-2x was tuned in denver at Suba?

I would say for purchase price, 10k is my limit. I may be going to look at the $6.9k s4 tomorrow. Just as a test, because I have never driven an s4.

And thanks, but it's not a 22b. Just a naturally aspirated slow 2.5 RS, if I had a 22b, I would not be on this site! haha

Old 11-15-2009, 07:53 PM
2nd Gear

Hah, sorry I just always see those models and think "22B!" Sexy cars.

Yeah it was at Suba, he used to live about 5 blocks from there in one of the apartments down the street towards the stadium. Not sure if you know him or not, name is Charlie.

Anyways, for 10k you should be able to find a good S4. Although from what I've noticed, the best deals on these cars is Spring to beginning of Summer because people like to buy them for the warm weather and keep it until after the winter. But if you find a good deal, then don't pass it up. Even $6.9k isn't bad, you can find used K03's for 200-300 bucks (or have them rebuilt, even K04's if you can find them) and replace them as a temporary fix and still have some left over to fix the other odd ends.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:33 PM

I would love to have this done by christmas, but next spring/summer is more likely.

I'm extremely sad to leave my Subaru, but my goals are not realistic for it at this point in my life, and the motor is going at 150k.(Previous owner abused it )

But I have always loved Audi, and even my Subaru friends support my want for an S4! Must be that german engineering.(My dad likes this idea too, he is a german car guy at heart. He is driving a Honda Ridgeline now, but trying to get back in a german car)