S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Lost my Key! B5 2000 S4

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Default Lost my Key! B5 2000 S4

Uggg! I lost my key. After hours of searching I've got to resort to buying a replacement. I've searched the web and a forums but there seems to be conflicting opinions about the immobilizer on the S4. So I've got a few questions:
1. Does my car have an immobilizer? (2000 S4 US Model)
2. Can I program it using the car if I buy two keys? (Keylessride.com)
3. If it has an immobilizer and I can't program it myself do I have any other alternative before breaking down and taking it to the dealer? I really want to avoid that because I'd have to tow the car about 50 miles.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:03 PM
Default RE: Lost my Key! B5 2000 S4

According to VAG-COM from Ross-Tech: "Note: US/Canada model Audi A4/S4 do not have Immobilizers."
Of course almost every 2000 Audi S4 "For Sale" sheet says they do have Immobilizers.

So confusing and I want to drive my car!

Old 10-22-2007, 05:45 PM
2nd Gear

Maybe I'm just imagining this, but I think I remember a similiar situation a friend of mine had or someone from a forum who had lost their key. Contacted a local dealer and if you are able to prove ownership should have a database of the key according to your VIN, I'm sure the dealership wouldn't have this accessable but they would have to contact the manufacturer the vehicle came from or something. I dunno, I can't remember clearly, it migh not have been a key, but it's worth a shot to see, they didn't just make up your key design on the spot, it was documented somewhere.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:24 PM

I bought a spare key for my 2002 S4. The dealership told me it had an immobilizer and it was going to cost me $90 for the key and like $110 for programming. I told them to just get me the key. When I got the key the car started right up without any programming.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:30 PM
2nd Gear

when i had bought my car it came with one key and for me to get another one i had to buy it off ebay i think i paid 40 for a flip key and i brought it to audi and they charged me 100 for programming the key..

Old 10-24-2007, 07:45 AM

The Answer!
From the years 1996 - 2001 the Audi S4 (and probably similar models) were equiped with immobilizers but they were not activated until the 2002 models.

The Rest of the story:
Apparently the B5 S4 is a really pain to get into. The locksmithspent a long time trying to pick the lock. He asked me to call the dealer and see if there was anyway I could get the key code. I figured it was a long shot but I gave it a try. I called a dealer about an hour's drive from where the car was. I talked to someone who swore I'd have to have the car brought to them on a flat bed so they could read the transponder and make a key for me. I told them I had no way to get it to them as we couldn't even get the door open. He said he would try to call Audi in Germany and see if they could get the key code for me. I read him my VIN and hungup expecting never to hear from him again. I got a call about 15 or 20 minutes later from the dealer just as the locksmiths had finished trying with a new tool that gets the lock layout instead of picking it. They had some complex set of numbers written down. The dealer gave me the key code (which really suprised me) and told me to call back to schedule the drop off. I gave the code to the locksmiths and they translated it on their computer to the same number they had just deciphered. It took a while for them to cut two keys and get one of them programmed but finally (about 1.5 hours after their arival) we got in and got the car started. Yay!

I got one keylessride.com key (with the two-button lock and unlock) and another regular key. The KeylessRide.com key has a logo on it that says VDub so I ordered a little leather cover from eBay with the Audi rings and name for the key. I guess I'm just proud like that They programmed the KeylessRide remote using only the car and the two keys. They put the cheepo key in the ignition, turned it to the on position, got out and closed the door. Then put the expensive key in the drivers side door. I couldn't see exactly when they were doing but they turned it several times, locking and unlocking the doors and pressing the buttons on the remote. It all works now and I really enjoyed being able to drive my car to work again!

Old 11-04-2007, 08:55 PM

OMG....wouldn't you know I found the key today. I was moving a reclyner (one that I'd searched at least 10 times) and it fell out when I turned it upside down and on it's side. On the one hand I'm happy to have my key back with the rings...on the other hand I'm kicking myself for spending $200 to replace it when it was in the chair the whole time.