S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Negotiating price on 2010 S4

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 04:40 PM
1st Gear
Default Negotiating price on 2010 S4

Hey everyone,

Sorry if this isn't the right forum for this but I'm just looking for some advice/feedback. I have never owned an Audi but I'm looking to buy a CPO 2010 S4 with 6 speed manual transmission. I'm curious as to how much room to negotiate price is usually accepted. I've noticed quite a few S4's online which seem overpriced ($2000-$3000) over "market value" with some of those dropping almost $5000 in price over an approx 2 month period. So would it be acceptable to make an offer $5000-$6000 lower than asking price and then negotiate up from there? Or would I base my offer on "market value?" I have seen multiple postings online regarding "negotiating used car price", but I thought I'd see what I could find here from people who know more about Audi. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions for you all.

Thanks in advance

Old 11-18-2012, 10:52 AM
1st Gear

If its a dealer car at an official Audi dealership which I assume it is then not much room at all but it never hurts to lowball if its been sitting in their inventory for a while...if its a private seller then go look at it and see if there is anything wrong you could point out to reduce cost...although I know I have had problems with sentimental value when selling my other 2 previous audis so most owners price high bc they hate to see their baby go or they just like money and know someone like me will come along and buy it. I have a b7 v8 s4 right now so I def recommend going for it! 4th car I've owned including an 09 a4 I still have for daily driving and ill never drive anything else!

Old 11-19-2012, 10:22 AM
3rd Gear

Always lowball and then work your way back up. The seller will always accept more money. Dealers will not be insulted by lowballs, but they know how to play the game better than we do. Your leverage is condition and how long it has been in their inventory. Private sellers may be insulted, but the reality is that they have already been given a low offer for their vehicle as a trade-in and are trying to sell it for more on the open market. Know the KBB values. When I bought my A6 in 2005, I was able to split the difference with the private seller between trade-in and retail resale. I have also been willing to pay more for vehicles in the exact color or combination of accessories that I want.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:42 PM
1st Gear

I had a very tough time negotiating at the audi dealership. Had to make several trip to different audi dealerships. I was able to take off 1500 on a 2010 prestige s4 and that was after hours of negotiating, however i was going to take the car anyways they just didn't know that haha. Good luck, quick question does the s4 logo on the dashboard on the rpm side light up? Mine doesn't i didn't pay attention to that until my way home from the dealer and i called the dealer and they said it is not suppose to but im pretty sure they just wanted to get me off the phone.