S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

New S5 or used RS4

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 09:36 PM
1st Gear
Lightbulb New S5 or used RS4

Hello everybody,

I have been saving for quite a while and now I am getting ready to buy my first Audi.
I was going to go for a 2013 S5 (V6T), but my dealer made me drive a RS4 they just got in....this car is really sick!

Now I am hesitating between the two cars...
I know the RS4 is quite a bit faster, but it is also older (2007)...although it only has 19k miles. I also know that for most folks the S5 is a better looking car (only connoisseurs will notice a RS4 vs a S4) and has more "gadgets" and electronics on-board.
I am not going to race the car every weekend, and it will be my daily drive. My commute is rather short, so gas mileage is not a major issue for me. Also, I prefer 2 doors, but the wife is more comfortable with 4 doors...in case a baby "shows up".

Which one would you guys buy? Why?
Any well known issue with either of those cars (reliability,...)?

Thanks for any insight you can provide!!

Old 10-08-2012, 08:15 AM
4th Gear

I wish I had your dilemma...

-The 4.2 in the RS has a known issue with carbon build up in the intake and valves, which has to be manually cleaned by removing the intake manifold.
-The RS is now 6 years old, and out of warranty I assume, but has already taken the huge hit on depreciation
-The S5, being brand new, will depreciate A LOT.
-The 3.0T engine is still pretty new to Audi, so I'm not sure of any long term reliability issues.

So my suggestion? Get the S6 instead