S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

New user here- thinking about a 04 S4, have some ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 04:29 PM
Default New user here- thinking about a 04 S4, have some ???

I am going to look at a 2004 S4 with 12k miles. Its a sedan, 6M, some options and is CPO. The dealer wants 44k for it. i was hoping to talk him down to 40k. My questions are:

Is there anything I need to pay closer attention to on the test drive?
Is the price in line?
And has anyone dealt with Audi Exchange in Highland Park, IL? Good, bad??

The only thing that bothers me is the low mileage. But being a CPO, it will come with a 100k mileage warranty.

And guidance would be great as this will be my first Audi and first S4.

Thanks.

Old 07-14-2005, 05:17 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: New user here- thinking about a 04 S4, have some ???

You have nothing to worry about with the 04,great car.

Old 07-14-2005, 05:46 PM
2nd Gear

I have an 04 sedan 6mt S4.

The good the bad the pretty and the ugly...

I am biased...I love the car...so take this with a grain of salt or pepper or whatever.

The good stuff: The fit and finish are great...the interior, especially the seats are some of the best I have ever seen. The engine is sweet....good torque, even power band, likes to go. Instruments and cockpit layout are great...people complain about the navi system...I don't have it and don't want it...so makes no difference to me. Handling, braking, ride are all good. Of course you can tweak that stuff with mods if you want to improve them, but they start out at a pretty good level already.

The stuff I would complain about: The Drive By Wire system along with the engine management system seem to want to tame the car down abit...maybe in an attempt to make it more drivable to the masses...not sure, but there is a .4 second delay of throttle response when you jump on the gas....seems that the ecu makes decisions to smooth everything out a bit. The car is heavy for its size.

Oh and the gas mileage is not good.

They did have some engine/transmission problems on the early versions...look for a build date after Feb 04 (I think).

The price they are giving you is too much. I payed less for a new 04 with a CPO warranty in addition to the new car warranty. I think you should be getting this car for $39k. See what they say...and good luck...

It is a fantastic car.

Old 08-14-2005, 05:15 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: abacab

The stuff I would complain about: The Drive By Wire system along with the engine management system seem to want to tame the car down abit...maybe in an attempt to make it more drivable to the masses...not sure, but there is a .4 second delay of throttle response when you jump on the gas....seems that the ecu makes decisions to smooth everything out a bit. The car is heavy for its size.

They did have some engine/transmission problems on the early versions...look for a build date after Feb 04 (I think).
1. Does a chip get around the DBW delay?
2. Have there been any recalls documented for the early versions.

Thanks Guys!

Old 08-19-2005, 02:16 PM
2nd Gear

I'm not sure about aftermarket chips and the throttle lag.

Here is a link to Audi Tech Bullitens for B6/S4...Not sure how complete it is, it is maintained by a guy on Audiworld.

B6/S4 Tech Bulletin