S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

No first and second gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 12:07 AM
1st Gear
Default No first and second gear

From my personal novel, “One Problem after Another”...
By mistake, I tried putting the car into second gear without completely pressing the clutch. As a result I got the nasty “grgrgrgrg” sound. Then I slowed down and turned into neutral. The bottom line is that I cannot put the car into first or second gear but can put it in reverse, 3rd to 6th gear. Sometimes first and second go in, but very hard. Second goes in easier after double-clutching. Any ideas what the problem might be?

Old 10-09-2007, 12:29 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: No first and second gear

check linkage, but sounds like you have the very common synchro problem, happens on a lot of B5's with the first and second going out

Old 10-09-2007, 12:41 AM
1st Gear

If it is the linkage, would I have problems with some of the other gears too? Bad linkages would not affect only first and second, right? How can I check the linkages – are they cables or metal-like bars?

Old 10-09-2007, 03:16 AM
2nd Gear

cables i believe... haven't been under an audi in a while, haha, but sorry to say it's a good bet it's the synchronizer

Old 10-09-2007, 12:09 PM
1st Gear

Very strange - this morning I was able to easily put the car into first gear. Now, only getting in/out of second gear is problematic (especially getting out).
Approximately how much $$$ am I looking at for labor if the synchronizer is messed up? What is worst – going to the dealership or to a private auto-repair shop (for European cars)? Any exceptional private places around the DC/Alexandria/Fairfax areas where I could ask for an estimate?

Old 10-09-2007, 04:00 PM
1st Gear

I am researching my options and just found out that rebuilt/used transmission goes from $2000 to $2500 (without the shipping). I called all possible shops near Alexandria and no one can give me a basic quote for transmission swap or rebuilding.... aghhhh [:@] they all want to take ~$150 for inspection before giving me a quote. So, I will be going for an inspection. Once I go through that step, I will surely be hocked to the shop of my choice, even if their quote is high… because I can not go to another place asking for transmission rebuilding (for example) without initial inspection (another $150)… frustrating.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:50 PM
1st Gear

What exactly are they gonna do in this inspection? Seriously, are they gonna take your tranny out and actually pull it apart, or is going to be like going to the doctor when you feeling sick, only for them to take your temperature and tell you that you're sick.... Gee doc, I kind of figured I was sick and was actually here to find out what I'm suffering from... Here's $150, thanks for telling me that, yes, my tranny indeed has an issue with going into 2nd and not being able to confirm what the f#ck the problem is.

Anyway, if you have to replace the tranny and are going to have to spend $2k+, you might want to check out Stasis engineering. They're supposed to be built better than OEM and you get their 4:1 center diff included in the $2.9k price. Just wanted to mention it to you.

It should be mentioned that their warranty requires the clutch to be replaced (at least that's my understanding).

http://www.stasisengineering.com/Thu...D=S4&EN=51

Regards,
Brian

Old 10-12-2007, 07:45 PM
3rd Gear

frustrating im sure. If this happened to me id peobably bite the bullet and go stasis. Their close ratio rebuild with the new high bias torsen looks so sweet. Haha thats in the long term plans for me

Old 10-19-2007, 12:50 AM
1st Gear

Hey To3o, check out this auction on ebay for a rebuilt 6sp tranny.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...em320168792446

Old 10-24-2007, 09:12 PM
1st Gear

hey i see you have the same problem with my s4 except my 3rd and 4th went out when i grinded going in to thrid but now it just acts like there is no gear there but. i messed with the linkage a little bit and to get to that take off the intake tube off the top of the car and if you shine a flash light down in there you can see the linkage and move it with you hand but there is a nut at the end of that jst tighten it up and it might help you out