S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

potentially Buying a 1994 S4

Old 07-27-2012, 03:10 PM
1st Gear
Default potentially Buying a 1994 S4

Hello, I am going to go look at a 1994 UR s4 this weekend. What are things that I should be aware of? I understand they are pretty much bullet proof as long as proper maintenance has been completed. This particurlar S4 has recently had

timing belt, water pump, pulleys, drive belt, crank and cam seals, valve cover gasket, new front and rear brake pads and rotors new control arm bushings and passenger side tie rod, with alignment done.

Is there anything else That I should be checking for. thanks

Old 07-27-2012, 03:30 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

I'm not entirely sure about "bullet proof" but good maintenance defintely leads to good reliability.

In most instances like this, the best advice I can give is to go with your gut. It should be pretty obvious, especially with a car of this vintage, whether or not it has been cared for. If something seems wrong to you, it very likely is. I had a mechanic tell me once that a relationship with a car is a lot like a relationship with a woman (significant other). If it starts off negatively, it will impact your entire relationship.

be sure to give the car a bit more than the cursory once over and you should be in pretty good shape making a decision.

good luck

let us know how it goes

Old 08-07-2012, 01:42 AM
1st Gear

Just wanted to follow up on the S4. I did go to look at it a few days ago. The guy was very nice and let me put the car up on his lift. The underside was very clean literally no rust at all. The interior was also pretty nice, for its age. But the paint was not great. The clear-coat was very faded and would take a very skilled detail or possibly an entire respray. But mechanically the car was very sound.

I just saw a white 1993 S4 pop up on craigslist today and am going to look at it sometime this week. If its as nice mechanically then I will end up buying one or the other.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:47 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 02A6Beau
I had a mechanic tell me once that a relationship with a car is a lot like a relationship with a woman (significant other). If it starts off negatively, it will impact your entire relationship.
Yeah I know what he means, last year I was looking into buying an E36 BMW. I ended up buying a 98 328 I. I totally missed all of the warning signs and bought it out of impulse. And I loved it for a week until I had to change the strut towers, brakes, tires, swaybar links. some bushings and the motor started skipping. From that point the relationship rapidly declined.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:15 AM
1st Gear
Default Bought one

Hey guys, I finally bought one, its a white on black 1993 5 speed. Its pretty much stock except for Porsche brakes and aftermarket coils. Drives very well and was originally a California car.

I will make a new thread tomorrow, after I Detail and take some pictures. Stay tuned