S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Press Clutch to Start

Old 02-17-2006, 08:05 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Press Clutch to Start

They had my car for a week while they ordered and replaced the starter. I got it back yesterday, and it started this morning on the first try, so I guess that was the problem the whole time. I really doubt the clutch switch, which they replaced twice, or the ignition switch, which they said they repaired, were ever faulty in the first place. Although it is scary that the starter went out after only 38,000 miles, it is even more scary that it took three visits to the dealer (they said the tech that worked on it was the 3rd best in the country, although I have no idea how they could even test that) for them to figure it out. Blah.

Old 02-19-2006, 07:09 PM
2nd Gear

What a nightmare! You would think with all the 'advanced diagnostics' that cars now have, they could zero in on the problem the first time. Unfortunately it seems they have a terrible case of taking the 'easiest' option first...don't really put the time in to fix it, just pick the most obvious and hope that gets it....I hate that.

Go to another dealer if you can....if not, then talk directly to the service manager only, and if things don't improve then go to the dealership manager. Sometimes that will make a difference.

cheers!

Old 02-21-2006, 03:45 PM
1st Gear

I didn't drive it all weekend, and it started on the first try this morning, so it was definitely the starter. FYI, the name of the dealer is Sneider-Nelson Audi/Porche in Eatontown, NJ. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Old 04-09-2006, 08:42 PM

[&:] problem can u please help i have a 2000 S4 my clutch is all the way on the floor i think im low on hydralic fluid cause i keep smelling burnt clutch and i just got my car home now and my clutch pedal is completly on the floor what do i do? where do u add hyralic fliud on these cars (new owner of car)

Old 04-10-2006, 11:50 PM
1st Gear

Great cars!

Old 02-04-2008, 06:53 PM

I am not a nuts and bolts "car guy" but if the car starts sometimes, how could it be the starter? can't argue with results, but I have a 2004 S4 with the same symptoms (doesn't turn over at all when cold, starts right up when warm). I am out of warranty so replacing the starter is a pretty big expense. I've had an independent repair shop replace the clutch switch 3 times now. They said they finally called Audi and they told them that there have been a lot of bad switches made (it's about a $4 part).

Has anyone else solved this problem or gotten a reasonable explanation? hate to replace the starter when it could be a cheap switch is the problem.

Thanks.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:44 PM
1st Gear

So, My 01.5 S4 just started doing this.
"Press clutch to start" No sound like its trying to start and the clutch is all the way in. When I turn the key, the lights come on and the message to "Press clutch to start" pops up.
Battery shows that it is fine on the voltage meter, clutch seems to work perfect with no grinding gears.
Is there any consensus on what is causing this? I know this thread is a few years old and I am hoping there is a little more information about it now.

It seems like it would be the clutch position switch to me. But that seems to work. If I am using cruise control and press the clutch it disengages the cruise control. Which, from what I've read is a function of that switch.

It's done it twice. Once a few days ago when it was warm, 70 degrees, and then again this morning when it was 40degrees. This morning was the worst it's been. It took about 10 minutes to get the car to finally start.

Thanks,

And if I do need to buy a new ignition switch or clutch pedal sensor, where is the best place to get them?

Old 06-08-2014, 01:28 AM
1st Gear
Default press clutch to start

I read all the posts and I have the same problem on my 2004 S4 with 95000 miles on it. I had the Raleigh, N.C. dealership replace my switch as well, and it did not fix it. Right now I attempt to turn it over and remove the key for one minute till it cranks. So far it only takes 2-3 minutes for it to turn over but in all reality this should not be an issue with this car. I will attempt to find the gremlin and when I do post it for y'all to see.

Old 12-21-2017, 04:20 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by kurgan19 View Post
I read all the posts and I have the same problem on my 2004 S4 with 95000 miles on it. I had the Raleigh, N.C. dealership replace my switch as well, and it did not fix it. Right now I attempt to turn it over and remove the key for one minute till it cranks. So far it only takes 2-3 minutes for it to turn over but in all reality this should not be an issue with this car. I will attempt to find the gremlin and when I do post it for y'all to see.
Kurgan19, did you ever figure out what that gremlin was? I have this problem periodically on my 2001 A4 (currently at 210K miles). I've found the easiest workaround is to hold the ignition in the start position and repeatedly press the clutch in until it detects it. Sounds like mine might be a clutch switch issue?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Press Clutch to Start

Advertising
Featured Sponsors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.