S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

S4 Exhaust questions. Anyone got a sec?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 06:52 AM
1st Gear
Default S4 Exhaust questions. Anyone got a sec?

Hello all, I just got my "new" 2001 S4 and the next mod is an exhaust. I know there are thousands of threads about and I apologize for make yet another... but I would prefer some car specific answers before I start cutting!

1. Cat delete. Obviously this will send my CEL into a tizzy. Is it worth it? Are the stock cats very restrictive?

2 If it is, is there a way to shut and keep the light off. I read somewhere a hollowed out spark plug defouler? No idea.. Anyway CEL's are annoying! So any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

(im actually just hollowing or punching out the cat effectively making it just a piece of pipe)

Old 05-03-2012, 03:36 PM
2nd Gear

here is a write up on gutting your downpipes.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng75.shtml

if youre on stock turbos this setup will be fine. the cel light will pop up once gutted, but there are ways to get rid of it. companies like JHM, VAST and RAI all have check engine light deletes you can put in your 02 bungs to space out the 02 sensor. you local auto parts store should also sell de-foulers, which are essentially the same thing. you can also get your rear 02's coded out by a tuner.

if youre looking for an inexpensive setup i'd go with ss autochrome. you can get downpipes and exhaust for about $500. another good option would to gut your dp's and buy the ss autochrome catback exhaust.

what tranny do you have?

Old 05-03-2012, 04:30 PM
3rd Gear

get the SSAC exhaust with the nonresonated dps for $520 shipped and save the catted stock pipes for when/if you need to pass emissions. The piggie pipes with the SSAC cat back sounds very nice.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:41 AM
1st Gear

Thanks again both of you. Do you know where I can get the cat back? I can only find the one with the DP's included. And I have the auto trans

Last edited by Boostfreak94; 05-04-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:39 AM
3rd Gear

They don't specifically list just the cat back portion but if you send them an email requesting just that bit they'll do it for you. They did for me and others. I paid $330 for just the cat back. You can make the dps work with the tip trans but they need a little modification to fit which is why I did the piggies with it instead.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:26 AM
1st Gear

Awesome. I'll be honest the piggies look a little above my pay grade, keeping in mind in only 18. So I may just have to leave to stock ones on till I leave for college in the fall. I'm going for a bachlors in automotive so I'll have access to lifts and tons of cool gadgets to make that possible.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:16 PM
2nd Gear

piggies are your stock downpipes, gutted, by you. should be perfect for your pay grade.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:32 PM
1st Gear

Yea I know what piggies are and I know how to do them. But I don't exactly have an assortment of saws and welders or anything to do a really good job. :/ I don't want to do a half-assed job and since its my daily, I can't afford to have the down pipes off for a couple days. School and work. Which leaves me with stock down pipes and a cat back, till I get to college

Old 05-06-2012, 07:07 PM
2nd Gear

As said, Piggies are essentially free...minus a little blood, sweat and tears. Failing that the SSAs are cheap and get the job done. I have been running the SSAs for a while now and have been happy.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:31 AM
2nd Gear

Saw this in the audizine classifieds. $100 for tip dp's. this is what i did so the car wasnt down for more than a day.

2002 S4 Part out Good Deals - The Audizine Classifieds

Quick Reply: S4 Exhaust questions. Anyone got a sec?