S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

S4 or RS4 .... I have some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 04:24 AM
Default S4 or RS4 .... I have some questions.

All,

After much shigrin (sp), I finally sold my old track car (2003 Evo note vids below for fun), and have decided to move on to something more 'adult'. I have been looking at S4's for some time, and have ridden in plenty around most courses in the SE US. Unfortunately, I am no guru when it comes to the intrigue detials of these fine machines.

First, this car will see VERY light track duty, but mostly will be a daily commuter for the wifey. The wife and I have decided to consolidate our rolling inventory down to one nice car, and my company machine. This opens the opportunity (and budget) to do something fun for both of us. The wife has been trying to get my to consider the Audi for some time, but I have never pulled the trigger due to the cars weight (I used to only buy sports car dedicated to track duty). Knowing this will see mstly street duty, I want this car to be nice to ride in, but still be competitive ont he track, should I consider a time trial here in the SE. However, I DON'T want to start another money pit, so I want to make sure what I buy will be 'capable' of doing either role with little or no modding.

That being said, my wife, loves the 2001 S4, which her brother has, but I am leaning toward a newer S4 because of warranty. I have even considered the RS4 as an option to feed my need, without having to do ANY mods to the car. What would be the advantages / disadvantages of going with a 2001, 2005, or a new RS4? What things should I really be weighing here? How many mods (suspension) are really avaiable for a car like the RS4 and how much do they really help a car of it' caliber?

Thanks in advance for your input, I would love to here testimony from folks with S4/RS4 doing the light track/daily duty at this time.

STF

Old 11-13-2006, 05:47 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: S4 or RS4 .... I have some questions.

o1 (or any B5 S4) will be both most moddable (with great results) but will likely cost more to maintain to to age, turbos, in general. RS4 is a beast right out o f the box (so it seems...never driven one) and likley the best track car y far - though I've modded my B5 suspension quite a bit where I'm sure it can hold its own (but still the new RS4 likely has a beat and good). B7 S4 has great high reving v8 in its own right and more luxury and modern then B5 - also better unmodded then B5. If you can afford the RS4 you should go for it...otherwise I'd still say - for your stated needs - the B7 S4 would likely be easier to maintain then the B5...but if you think you might want to play around with mods the B5 is hard to beat and its bi-turbo V6 can be made fiercer then the B7 V8 and can even be given more omph then a stock RS4...though it will never be as nimble nor have that screaming V8...hope this helps

Old 11-13-2006, 05:54 PM
1st Gear

If money is'nt a object, then go for the RS4 4.2 V8 for $75k or a S4 4.2 V8 for $53k. Or you could buy 2 older S4 2.7T for under $45k. Mod one and leave the other stock for reliability.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:45 AM

It must be catching... Whats up StopandTurnFreak? I'm also looking to sell the Evo and do an S4. I don't have the money for the RS4, but I believe that the S4 with the 4.2 will do me just fine. I'm getting tired of the constant pre-pubescent challenges at each stoplight, and I believe the S4 is a more mature Evo. I'll be doing the occasional track events as well, and have already thought out a couple changes to help. (brakes and swaybars, but probably no lowering). I'd wondered where you went!

Old 11-14-2006, 02:07 AM
1st Gear

great video buddy.

welcome to the forums.

you will love the build quality and the interior of an audi...absolutely top notch all around.

i drive a b6 a4, gorgeous car, but slow as hell. i look forward to owning a b6 s4 in the future.

good luck with the car purchase!

Old 11-14-2006, 02:25 AM
1st Gear

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...i+s4+evo&hl=en

i don't think you could ask for a better resource!

Old 11-14-2006, 11:39 PM
3rd Gear

Have you driven the EVO on the track? If so you will be disapointed with a stock S4 on the track.
There heaver, less HP, less brakes, don't have the nimbleness of the EVO.

I have a 05 EVO 8 that's my track car, while I LOVE my S4, modded it faster in a straight line, it doen't
handle like my stock suspension EVO, my S4 has coil over, & is corner ballanced & alligned.

There also a LOT more money to maintain, but the insurance is much less.

If a warranty is that important to you, and you can swing the payments, the RS4 is a AWESOME car,
but there have some dispointments on the Dyno with them. But for $70k, I'm leaning towards a Porsche, or
a E46 M3 with $20k left to mod it.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:48 PM
1st Gear

Yeah im just not sure if 70k for a rs4 is worsh it. There are so many other cars that are faster that you can get for that price.

Old 11-19-2006, 04:25 PM

My 2003 Evo was my track car too, but it was still street legal. It had @3K in suspension mods, and another 2k in engine mods. It was very conservative, @314AWHP, but on a road course, it was a terror. I have gone 1:38's at Road Atlanta and 1:50's at CMP, without much work. The car, probably could have gone a ton faster with more boost (17psi), but I wanted something that I was SURE was going to leave another day. At the bottom of my sig is some in car from my old Evo.

As for the S4, I have decided on an 05 S4, v8. This is what I like, and my wife loves. We are going to look at a few today, I will post pictures should we bring home a new toy.