S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

S4: too freaking fast

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 11:30 PM
1st Gear
Default S4: too freaking fast

So, I registered my 2004 S4 Avant on Friday, and loaded the family up this morning for a trip to my parents to enjoy driving it and show it off. The S4 is replacing a boring Ford, which had replaced a Golf TDI. Now, don't get me wrong: I like cars, I like driving, and I like driving fast. The Golf was a wonderful highway cruiser, and flooring it at 75 in fifth would give a slight nudge in the back, and the car always felt like it wanted to go 90+ mph. But you had to really push it. The Ford was just bored to death with itself, and if you cruise at 65 and press on the gas the car would just sort of say "do I really have to?"

This S4 is a different animal entirely. At 75 in 6th, the rpms are at about 3000, and just getting into the torque peak. The slightest nudge and you're going like 100. In an empty space I zipped up to 110 without even thinking about it. Damn. This thing is just a beast. On the highway, I felt like I was holding the leash to a lion. A hungry, slightly angry lion. And going close to the speed limit is just cruel to the poor animal.

So of course during my little run today I got pulled over and got a ticket for 92. I'll need get a radar detector, and more importantly use some restraint. But I almost think it wont be fun to drive this beast in the land of 65. Gimme a 90hp TDI, and it can run as hard as it wants and cruise at a nice speed, but not triple digit land. I knew this when buying the car, but got a great deal and couldn't resist having it for at least a while.

I've driven triple digits on the autobahn in my sister-in-law's 15 year old Audi 90. It was terrifying at times because we had it floored and had no reserve power,and other cars would eat us for lunch going 120+. Other cars like this S4. The S4 is not built for the land of 65. It is being tortured in the land of 65. Gimme either much higher speed limits, or a much less powerful car. I might drive the much less powerful car almost as fast. It'll take barrels less fuel and barrels less self restraint.

Am I crazy? Does anyone else have similar feelings?

Old 02-18-2008, 12:45 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: S4: too freaking fast

My tip S4 isn't that fast, well from a roll if I floor it, it moves good. But I don't find myself speeding in it. Compared to my other cars this thing is slow. I just use cruise and go about 5 mph over the posted on the highway. That way people still pass me, but I make decent time and don't worry about tickets. Cruise control is your friend try it sometime.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:19 AM
1st Gear

I think you should sell it. Contact me, seriously.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:35 AM
2nd Gear

Yeah - I feel you. I'm always having to pull it back as the S4 seems to really want to roll triple digits plus (and just in general). Most of the time - besides a nice off the line or power through twisties now and again - I find that I can hardly enjoy all the power that I have. When I pass people on two lane roads I very easily and quickly hit 100+ and have to make sure I coast down or brake (no fun!)...and I rarely can really kick it out in 3rd gear+ - the speed just spools up too quickly (past legal limits)...still I manage to have my fun - enjoy yours!

Old 02-18-2008, 08:54 AM
3rd Gear

i cant imagine what you feel road hawk! Stage 2+ is enough to get me into trouble way too fast.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:45 AM
2nd Gear

haha...thats why i got this car, to get myself in trouble. but seriously, the best way to enjoy that power is to take it to your local track and run some laps in it....everyone there encourages you to put it to the floor!

Old 02-18-2008, 10:20 AM
1st Gear

I've yet to experience a speed control issue on a car, and I've owned and driven way more powerful cars than an S4. I let the short and hard blast to the speed limit fill my thrills of speed and I’m generally content. I can see how the pull of the turbo of the B5 can and is addicting to me...

On the other hand I used to have a Honda RC-51, and that bike was a death sentence to me, and thankfully I never actually received a speeding ticket but there was times were i could have and could had wrecked and been seriously hurt. That bike has enough torque, that it didn't matter what gear you were in, if you were on the throttle you eventually were going to be speeding, it was a practice of throttle control, like... on for a second, off for three seconds, on for a second, off for three, just to maintain a constant speed. I kick myself time to time for selling the bike, but I'm still here today, and if I had kept it, who knows...

Shawn

Old 02-18-2008, 12:06 PM

haha I think he likes it! welcome to the club and enjoy yourself very much. Cruise control is a very good idea as well as radar detectors. Maybe I'm just paranoid but I havetwo radar detectors in the bimmer, one in the grill and one on the dash. [:-]

Old 02-18-2008, 01:46 PM
4th Gear

Like you, i like to push it and like you, i have been ticketed at over 90. actually 102. But, I do agree you are crazy if you are driving with your family loaded up at 90, 95. 110 whatever. maybe I misread but please be careful man, you would never forgive yourself nor would anyone else is something happened. I don't mean any disrepect, but even without knowing you or yours, just being a part of the AF I can say we want you and your folks around. Glad you love the car as it is worth loving.
RR

Old 02-18-2008, 02:26 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: shawncumberland

I've yet to experience a speed control issue on a car, and I've owned and driven way more powerful cars than an S4. I let the short and hard blast to the speed limit fill my thrills of speed and I’m generally content. I can see how the pull of the turbo of the B5 can and is addicting to me...
Hahaha i'm exactly the same. It's all about getting to the speed limit. I rarely speed, and if I do i'll pick my spots carefully.

Once you've been to the track, get all the rage out and enjoy the friendly atmosphere, you realize that public streets are like a zoo and way more dangerous lol.

Quick Reply: S4: too freaking fast