S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

S6 TPMS Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 03:24 PM
1st Gear
Default S6 TPMS Malfunction

My husband purchased a 2007 Audi S6 last year, love the car but am having problems it the TPMS; thank goodness we purchased an extended warranty. We've had the car in to the dealer a dozen since we purchased the car (first instance was 2 weeks after we took it home) but the dealer can't seem to figure out what's causing the malfunction. So far they've replaced all the sensors even in the spare, replaced the wheels with the factory 19" S6 wheels, (car had aftermarket 18" rims on it when we bought it), replaced the electronics in the car and the main sensor in the ceiling of the car, now they want to remove the window tint they sold us thinking it may be interfering with the sensors. We contacted the place that installed the tint and found they used a non-metallic tint because of the TPMS and it shouldn't interfere. The dealer filed a ticket with Audi Germany but have offered no resolution as I don't think they have one, just theories. Our previous car was an older A4 Turbo which was a great car... drove it until the clutch was about to go out at 160,000 miles so we wanted another Audi to replace it. We love the S6 but the problem is wearing us down. Did I mention we did get a flat tire and the sensors didn't warn us. Yea, it's a malfunction alright! My question is, should we be looking at other avenues with the malfunction or does anyone have any ideas other than what's been looked at that could be causing the problem?

Thanks for your help!

Old 02-27-2012, 04:44 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

Sounds like the dealership is committed to solving the problem for you. I've never been a fan of TPMS, in general. I understand why the feds are all for it but I think it is contributing to people not taking a pro-active approach to care and maintenance of their vehicles.

Have you investigated the possibility of having the TPMS system removed from your car. If I understand the Audi system correctly (my car does not have it) you could simply have the TPMS sensor "coded out" of the car's computer. You wouldn't necessarily have to worry about removing the sensors from the tires until it was time for new ones. I don't think this is something that is going to fly with the dealer and I would suspect an indy shop would be leery of doing it as well, but it believe that it can be done.

good luck

Old 02-27-2012, 05:19 PM
1st Gear

Thanks and no we haven't been presented with that option. I doubt the dealer would even offer it; presents a liability issue and they wouldn't want to be legally responsible if something were to happen. Not saying I would sue but the insurance companies would have a field day.