S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Turbos going bad with pretty low miles?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 10:41 PM
1st Gear
Default Turbos going bad with pretty low miles?

So here is the deal I bought my car about 9 months ago and the original owner pretty much only put highway miles on it. The second owner (the guy I bought it from and was OCD about it) only put less than 2k miles on it a year for 7years. So with it being taking care of well would it be likely that my turbos are going out with only 88,500 miles on it? Has had synthetic in it all of its life... I think anyway. The records say that the original owner had service done at the Audi dealer and I figure they would use synthetic 10-12 years ago.

Sorry if this explaination is kind of difficult to understand, and thanks for any input you may have!

Old 06-11-2012, 11:45 PM
2nd Gear

mine went at 80,xxx miles. are you getting white smoke from the exhaust or oil leaking on the floor? remove the skid guard and check for oil leaks.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:51 PM
1st Gear

No smoke from exhaust, at least not when its idling. If I am its not enough to see it from the rear view when driving. So if there is oil on the pan then where do I go from there to see if its from the turbos? BTW its stock so it has had the small amount of boost pressure all of its life!

Last edited by fourringking; 06-12-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:46 PM
2nd Gear

the excess oil would be due to the seals on the turbos going bad. around 80k miles is when ko3's tend to go. do you still hold boost? have you noticed a lack of power or fluctuating power? can you hear a dentist drill sound coming from them?

Old 06-12-2012, 06:21 PM
1st Gear

It might be a dentist drill, but its not really a mechanical sound its more of a whistle but it sounds like it may be a boost leak or something. How would I get to the turbos to check and see if they are leaking oil?(Ive never actually seen them) And if they are how much would it be for someone to replace them?(because I cant pull the engine out of my garage and do them myself)

thanks for the help!

Old 06-12-2012, 09:09 PM
2nd Gear

theyre waaaay down there. try looking from under the car by following the downpipes. you might be able to see one from the drivers side on top if you move the coolant res.

if they are blown youre gonna have to make a decision to either upgrade or remain stock. K03's, k04's and frankenturbos all run right around the same price($1500-$2000). For the K04's and the franks all you really need is inlets($300) and the rest you can accumulate as you go. All together for turbos and labor youre probably gonna be looking at close to $4k. there is most likely gonna be other things that need to be fixed once the engine is out.

Do a boost leak test to see if its just a leak. maybe a headgasket? even bad diverter valves.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:57 PM
1st Gear

Okay is the smoke machine test effective? Otherwise how can you make your own boost leak tester or something. Its not the head gasket because that was just replaced. My DVs are old though so Ill check those. Is it 4k for the KO3s or KO4s to have someone install them? I dont think the tip can handle the ko4s anyway! Chipped ko3s are good enough for me! Is there any other sure ways I can tell if the turbos are leaking oil? Because if I have oil on the skid plate then how do I know if its not just leaking from somewhere else? Im getting under it tomorrow so Ill check it out and reply after I have done it!

Last edited by fourringking; 06-13-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:34 PM
2nd Gear

http://www.awe-tuning.com/media/pdf/...ure_tester.pdf

here is the awe boost tester. you can easily make your own.

k03's or frankenturbos are going to run about the same price. k04's are gonna be about $500 more. i run k04's on my car w/ tip and havent had any issues recently. i did blow my first tranny when i first got them however. the new tranny has held for 4yrs now. in all seriousness though a stage 1 car with new k03's and a tip chip isnt bad at all.

the only oil on the skid plate is gonna be either from the turbos or the rear main seal. youre gonna have to physically see the turbos to tell if theyre leaking.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:21 PM
1st Gear

Well I looked at it and on the drivers side inlet pipe to the turbo has oil on it but right above it something else is leaking oil too and there is more oil on that than the inlet pipe so I figure it might be dripping on to the pipe. On the passengers side inlet pipe has a bit of oil on it too but from what I can see there is nothing above it to leak on top of it. Any thoughts?

Old 06-15-2012, 04:23 AM
2nd Gear

try taking off your lower intercooler hoses and see if a bunch of oil comes out. a little is nothing to worry about.

Quick Reply: Turbos going bad with pretty low miles?