S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Turbos Just Blew Some K04 Uprade Q's

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 11:09 PM
1st Gear
Default Turbos Just Blew Some K04 Uprade Q's

Ok so here's the deal I just did some upgrades on my 2000 s4 b5. I did a ecu upgrade with Vast I got a Stage 2+ and a close to stock program. Piggie pipes, throttle body boot, 710n valves(Because when I got it, it had bov gfb stealth the ones u could adjust), timing belt, water pump, valve cover gaskets, and an oil change.

Now before I did the ecu upgrade and piggie pipes I could kinda sound a rattling buzing sound faintly when boosting. This being my first S4 and a salvage I wasn't quite sure what it was. After I put piggies on and ecu it ran perfect I couldn't believe the difference no weird noise at all even running in stage 2+ for a couple days not driving too much. I got 75000 on it so I decided to do water pump, timing belt, and valve cover. Did an oil change today and drove like an hour on stage 2 I could hear the noise a little at first but towards the end just about everytime I boosted hard it would really make that famous like a dentist drill noise and with pedal to the medal doesn't give ya that throw you to the back of ur seat push. Guessing its the turbos sucks I just finished all that work thinking I'm good for another 60.

Ok enough of my life story so here's my questions. I was already planning to do K04's a lot farther down the road when I have more money and if they blew around 120 or so LOL just my luck. Luckily I went with vast and they will do K04 ecu upgrade for free.

So I was planning on getting RS4 K04's now do I need Vasts P&P exhaust manifolds or somthing similar(maybe cheaper lol)? And then I'm pretty sure I saw that vast makes a downpipe flange that would fit my piggies.

I also need better intercooling so would I install another intercooler or just install a rs4 intercooler or a good cheap imitation?

Next is fuel lines I've seen kits but the ones I've seen are really expensive can I just buy the stuff seperatly or is there any write ups on this? I haven't researched this very much

Now for the injectors which ones should I get? Or should I contact vast and see what they recommend for their programming?

And a bigger clutch should I just get oem rs4 or are there better/cheaper aftermarket ones?

Now am I missing anything? Do I really need full exhaust? Will this cause any harm just running piggies and the rest stock? I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible without sacraficing much. In the future when I have more money(prolly gunna half to borrow some money for this anyway) I can do more finishing stuff. Sorry about the long post any input would be great. Thanks

Old 02-16-2011, 08:08 PM
2nd Gear

the p&p manifolds are a nice addition but they are not necessary. As for the piggies you'll be fine with those just get some cel deletes or have the cel coded out. The fueling you can definitely buy all that stuff separately, like the upgraded fuel pump, rail, injectors, fpr, etc. For the injectors i would recommend bosch ev14's or whatever Vast recommends. now for the clutch.... I have no idea due to my car being an auto. i know the popular choice is the oem rs4 clutch and flywheel. You'll also need an RS4 maf and accordion hose or vast's silicone equivalent .

You can run a stock exhaust with your k04's its just holding back the true potential of your turbo's and tune. for the budget minded ss autochrome has an exhaust and dp combo for around $500. Engine and tranny mounts are a good buy as well for this kind of upgrade.

while your engine is out of the car get to as many things in there as possible.

AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT GET ANY K04'S FROM CHINA!!!! RP KO4'S=****

BORG WARNERS FTW!

Last edited by FonzoB5S4; 02-16-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:21 PM
1st Gear

Hey thanks fonzo for the reply. After doing some more research and reading your post I think I just about got my final parts list. Just double checking I got everything and making sure there is no better/cheaper alternatives. Considering I'm almost spending as much as I got the car for LOL (it was salvage). I wanna get everything right and as least expensive without sacrificing too much.

*K04 turbos - Franken k04's, vast turbo hardware kit, vast universal downpipe flange
*Turbo inlets - I was thinking of going with vasts aluminum ones for around 500 when I saw some cheap ebay ones for half the price has anyone used these? I definitely don't want them to fail as it's a bitch to pull the motor again but 500 bucks for inlets seems pretty pricey. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-...item4cf536e26d
*Injectors - Bosch EV14
* Fuel - Fuel pump, and you said rails I've seen the fuel rails on 034 with fuel line kit and with fuel pressure regulator is all that is necessary or best option? I haven't messed around too much with fuel setups on rigs before besides just replacing gas lines and what not.
*Clutch - I guess just the vast stage 3 w/ resurfaced flywhell unless anybody has a better/cheaper option?
*MAF - RS4 Hitachi MAF conversion and accordion pipe
*Intake - Guides say use the rs4 airbox but couldn't I just get the x-1 aftermarket intake and be all good or do I need something from the rs4 stock unit? and I believe i need a coolant sensor as well can i just use my old one?

Any suggestions would be helpful If I'm going to pull the motor I will definitely get the rs4 engine mounts but are the tranny mounts really necessary if the old ones are still in good shape (car has 70k on it). Because this was unplanned(my turbos blowing) and don't have a ton of money I was going to wait on the intercooler for more funds and build my own from ebay parts(not the actual unit) and just have vast make one of my programs much more tamed down as well as another that is stage 3 for when I get upgraded intercoolers and exhaust.

Last edited by Rpepper; 02-17-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:19 PM
2nd Gear

no problem. glad i can help.

everything you've mentioned is pretty right on. the inlets on ebay i have seen people use but i have heard that there are slight fitment issues that are easy to get around with some tinkering. i feel your pain on a $500 tab for these things. have you looked into 034? they have some for a little less.

http://www.034motorsport.com/engine-...g-p-17800.html

As for the maf youre on the right track, but instead of the accordion hose just get the silicone one from 034. its cheaper and will last forever.

http://www.034motorsport.com/engine-...d-p-19534.html

For the fueling youre gonna want all that if youre gonna go full stage 3. if you want to go for a less aggressive tune you can get a 3- tune. with that tune you wont need injectors or a rail, because you will just be maxing out your stock fueling.

For the intake just stay stock and do the darintake mod. the x-1 is waaaay to expensive and unnecessary unless your making big power and even then its not worth it in my opinion. the rs4 intake box is cool and will fit fine, but its just extra money you dont need to spend. the lower temp coolant sensor is a good buy or you could just get a turbo timer. up to you i went with a timer.

Stage 3 launches break engine/tranny mounts!! yes i would definitely get all the mounts you can. i got tranny, engine, f/r sub-frames, snub mount and diff bushings/carrier. for now just get the stern engine mounts and 034 tranny mounts and you'll be good for now.

the intercoolers you can hold off on. when you do get them i would go side mount instead of front so you dont have to hack up your bumper support to fit it. i know theyre expensive but they are worth it. you can put water misters on your stock intercoolers to help bring down temps until you get bigger ones. like the subie sti has. try searching audizine classifieds for used stage 3 stuff to take a break on your wallet.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/
the section is near the bottom.

i hope i have helped and havent missed anything. good luck!

p.s. i have heard great things about frankenturbos.
http://frankenturbo.com/F4H-BT.html

Old 02-17-2011, 08:06 PM
1st Gear

Awesome thanks for all the advice. I think ill just wait on the injectors for more funds and go with 3-. The only reason I was thinking x1 was because a stock rs4 box is around 479 and the x1 is around 550 so its not much more. I'm off to audizine right now for used parts you've been a big help thanks again

Old 05-18-2011, 02:31 PM
1st Gear

Hey Rpepper, just wondering have you done the swap yet? I am on the exact same boat you are/were right now with my car. I want to upgrade as cheaply as possible right now and continue with it in the future. Did you wind up getting the FrankenTurbo F4H-BT's? I'm thinking about getting those. Did everything work out ok with everything? Any suggestions for me would be greatly appreciated thanks.

I see Fonzo has been helping you too.. He's a good guy!

Old 05-19-2011, 05:02 PM
2nd Gear

here is Rpepper's build list on a different site:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...hlight=rpepper

ignore the nay sayers. audizine is a tough crowd.

here are a couple of builds using the frankenturbos:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...t=frankenturbo

This might help also:

Old 05-31-2011, 08:58 PM
1st Gear

Hey sorry it's been a while but something came up and I had to drop the project for a little bit. However I just finished today and everything ran fine at first. After driving it around the block for a while it gave me no codes and everything seemed good. However when I was driving home on the highway at some point I lost all power and the EPC light came on. Had to pull over turn off and back on then it worked. The check engine light has stayed on since. I took the back roads back and after a stop light it was starting to really boost and it happened again. Tomorrow I plan to goto a friends and check the engine code but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? It's got a new clutch as well so I don't wanna keep messing around with it too much.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:28 PM
1st Gear

Ok figured it out. After I got home last night popped open the hood and there was no MAF sensor. I musta not tightened it all the way and when I went on the highway it flew out of the boot luckily not into anything. Everything is running 100% and let me tell you it's got some *****. Almost feels like a street bike when I hit boost lol. Under heavy acceleration it has a tendency to kinda jerk right but not very bad maybe the struts?

Filter: Yeah everything went smooth aside from having to reclock the turbos to fit the oil return line and what not but that is really easy to do. Yeah I tried to build it pretty cheap without sacrificing too much and leaving it open to future upgrades. I went with a stage 3- program from vast as well as a close to stock w/franken turbos (to save on gas on trips). I went with the vast stage 3 clutch as well and wow it is a huge improvement from the stock I also did a LWFW but you can have your stock one resurfaced. For the stage 3- tune I needed a bigger gas pump but other than that I just got piggy pipes, new clutch/flywheel, turbos + inlets, and I bought a set of silicon hoses on ebay. I also just got a after run aux water p[ump switch to help cool down the turbos. Other than that I can't really think of anything else the guys over at Vast were a lot of help and If I decide to go full stage 3 later they will reflash my ECU for free. But if your going to do it yourself get ready for a pretty good project. If your going to pay a mechanic that can range anywhere from 1500-3000 depending. Hope this helps

Old 06-01-2011, 04:41 PM
2nd Gear

nice! glad to hear everything worked itself out. for the torque steer youre getting that can be helped by getting an upgraded front diff or an alignment might help a bit.

Quick Reply: Turbos Just Blew Some K04 Uprade Q's