S3 Audi's Small Sporty Family Car comes in two flavors; 3-door Hatchback and 5-door Sportback.

Considering buying an S3 but have some questions first

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 09:09 AM
1st Gear
Default Considering buying an S3 but have some questions first

Hey guys,

I am new here because I am on the verge of purchasing an S3.

The car is almost fully loaded for the exception of the magnetic ride control and the full led headlights.

I personally prefer the looks for the LED's but are they much better than the standard xenon headlights?

Also, does the magnetic ride make the ride softer and smoother over bad surfaces? The roads here are full of potholes and are generally in very bad condition so I was wondering if magnetic ride is a necessity in my case.

The reason I am asking is to see whether I should purchase the one available in the showroom or place a special order.

Finally, should I wait for an RS3 sedan? I always want more power and I will eventually chip the S3 to similar power levels as the RS3 but the latter can also benefit from a chip tune.

I am torn between two choices and would like your input

Thanks!

Old 04-12-2015, 01:24 AM
1st Gear

If you get the S3 with the Prestige package, you will automatically get the LED headlights (as well as other goodies like the awesome B&O sound system, interior LED lighting, rear view camera, etc.). So, I would highly recommend getting the Prestige package. If you get the 19" Performance Package, you will get the bigger wheels/tires as well as Magnetic Ride control. Personally, I didn't get the performance package because I live in Chicago where most of the roads are in substandard-poor condition. Before I picked up my S3, I test drove another S3 w/the 19" Performance Package and the ride was very stiff, even in the softest setting on the dampers. If you live in an area where most of the roads are in good condition, it may be worth it to get the 19" Performance Package. Personally, my S3 with the 18" wheels already makes the ride stiff enough for my taste. I really like the looks of the 19" wheels though.

As far as the RS3, I'm not sure if Audi has even officially announced they're releasing it in the States yet. One thing's for sure, it won't be cheap. I figure a fully loaded RS3 will come in around $65K-70K. For that price, you're in M3/M4, C63 AMG, ATS-V territory....lots of competition. If you want more power now, you may not be satisfied with a S3. The S3 is a compromise...between value, performance, and luxury. There's only so much you can do with the 2.0T engine. (And chipping it will void the warranty). If price isn't an obstacle, I would wait 'til the RS3 shows up and then decide.

Last edited by PSB1013; 04-12-2015 at 01:34 AM.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:55 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by PSB1013
If you get the S3 with the Prestige package, you will automatically get the LED headlights (as well as other goodies like the awesome B&O sound system, interior LED lighting, rear view camera, etc.). So, I would highly recommend getting the Prestige package. If you get the 19" Performance Package, you will get the bigger wheels/tires as well as Magnetic Ride control. Personally, I didn't get the performance package because I live in Chicago where most of the roads are in substandard-poor condition. Before I picked up my S3, I test drove another S3 w/the 19" Performance Package and the ride was very stiff, even in the softest setting on the dampers. If you live in an area where most of the roads are in good condition, it may be worth it to get the 19" Performance Package. Personally, my S3 with the 18" wheels already makes the ride stiff enough for my taste. I really like the looks of the 19" wheels though.

As far as the RS3, I'm not sure if Audi has even officially announced they're releasing it in the States yet. One thing's for sure, it won't be cheap. I figure a fully loaded RS3 will come in around $65K-70K. For that price, you're in M3/M4, C63 AMG, ATS-V territory....lots of competition. If you want more power now, you may not be satisfied with a S3. The S3 is a compromise...between value, performance, and luxury. There's only so much you can do with the 2.0T engine. (And chipping it will void the warranty). If price isn't an obstacle, I would wait 'til the RS3 shows up and then decide.
Thanks for your input.

In Lebanon, the car comes with all the goodies including the gorgeous sports seats, rear cam, B&O etc... with the exception of magnetic ride and 19 inch wheels.

I believe ordering one with magnetic ride and the 18 inch wheels is possible but wonder if it is worth the wait.

What about the full led headlights? I prefer them over the standard ones for cosmetic reasons but other than that are they worth it?

As for the RS3 I don't think it will be suited for Lebanon since it will most definitely be much stiffer and the S3 is already as stiff as I would like the car to be.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:17 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by drummerdimitri
Thanks for your input.

In Lebanon, the car comes with all the goodies including the gorgeous sports seats, rear cam, B&O etc... with the exception of magnetic ride and 19 inch wheels.

I believe ordering one with magnetic ride and the 18 inch wheels is possible but wonder if it is worth the wait.

What about the full led headlights? I prefer them over the standard ones for cosmetic reasons but other than that are they worth it?

As for the RS3 I don't think it will be suited for Lebanon since it will most definitely be much stiffer and the S3 is already as stiff as I would like the car to be.

I'm not sure about Lebanon, but here in the US, I don't think it's possible to order Magnetic Ride by itself. (It's part of the 19" Performance Package so it comes with 19" wheels/tires).

If you can get the LED headlights, I would recommend it. I'm not sure if it's brighter than standard ones but it does look nicer.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:54 AM
4th Gear

I'm not sure how pricing works in Lebanon, but in the US, the RS3 should price more closer to a few grand over $50K USD. There are two nice things about Audi's RS line. First, they pretty much come "fully loaded" with only a few above and beyond options that can be added. Secondly, they hold resale value considerably well due to the limited release/ limited numbers available. For example, the B7 RS4 was only available for two years in the US ('07-'08) and most of them still have at least 50-60% of the original value. By the time you finish checking all the options boxes on an S3, you won't be too far from RS3 price range. Plus, you won't see nearly as many RS3's around.

As for the LED lights, it's not too often Audi upgrades something just because it looks cool. I have not driven with LED headlights yet, but considering they were installed on their race cars before production vehicle (and have since improved to laser headlights), I'm going to say the light output/ usability is worth it.

Last note, Audi just announced last week that it should be available Stateside probably next year as a late MY16 or MY17. I'm excited to say the least.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:45 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bradtyler02
I'm not sure how pricing works in Lebanon, but in the US, the RS3 should price more closer to a few grand over $50K USD. There are two nice things about Audi's RS line. First, they pretty much come "fully loaded" with only a few above and beyond options that can be added. Secondly, they hold resale value considerably well due to the limited release/ limited numbers available. For example, the B7 RS4 was only available for two years in the US ('07-'08) and most of them still have at least 50-60% of the original value. By the time you finish checking all the options boxes on an S3, you won't be too far from RS3 price range. Plus, you won't see nearly as many RS3's around.

As for the LED lights, it's not too often Audi upgrades something just because it looks cool. I have not driven with LED headlights yet, but considering they were installed on their race cars before production vehicle (and have since improved to laser headlights), I'm going to say the light output/ usability is worth it.

Last note, Audi just announced last week that it should be available Stateside probably next year as a late MY16 or MY17. I'm excited to say the least.
The RS3 will be at least $$8K-10K more than the S3. It will be very limited so I would bet dealers will hold onto it and sell it for more than MSRP. I remember when the RS4 was first released in the US, it sold for around $80K-$85K fully loaded. One of my friends has one and that's what he paid. I can expect the RS3 to easily sell for close to $70K. For that price, I would personally get a C63 AMG.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:10 PM
4th Gear

As badly as I would want one, I definitely could not justify 70K for it.