B5 S4 massive exhaust smoke when off throttle and idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 07:35 PM
1st Gear
Default B5 S4 massive exhaust smoke when off throttle and idle

Have a B5 with about 95K miles on it. Replaced the stock KO3's with autopartwharehouse KO4's about 9K miles ago.

I recently wanted to get a tune and needed to upgrade the downpipes so bought some used AWE pipes and deleted the cats and resonator. I then noticed that once the car got warmed up, it would smoke like a cheech and chong movie out the tailpipes, but pretty much only when letting off the throttle and idling.

I originally thought that those pipes were so gunked up with oil and carbon that it was burning off so i had my guy take down the exhaust, clean them out and straight pipe it all the way back. Still smoking like a ***** fuka!! I mean like i cant even drive it into my job because its so bad.

Really hoping i dont have a blown turbo but i know what thats like and im not losing coolant or oil at this point.

Someone suggested the PCV was bad.

Anyone have any thoughts please??

Pretty ****** please!

Old 08-06-2013, 09:01 PM
2nd Gear

did you put on heat wrap or spill oil on the exhaust/dp's? this all happened before you got the tune?

i couldnt even find k04's on the website. do you have a link?

Old 08-07-2013, 04:44 PM
1st Gear
Default yes

I wrapped the DP's before the install and havent gotten the tune yet because i want to resolve this issue. They cleaned them out as well so i know its not old oil burning off. its either a blown turbo or something else.

Any ideas?

I actually got the turbo from here:
2002 Audi S4 Turbocharger Parts from Buy Auto Parts

the ones labeled HP are KO4 replicas or OEMs

Old 08-07-2013, 04:47 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by FonzoB5S4
did you put on heat wrap or spill oil on the exhaust/dp's?
When i say a lot of smoke. i mean like: if youve ever been to a Cypress Hill concert.... like if youve ever combines 10 fog machines at once.... like that time my buddies smoked 20 blunts in a rabbit with the windows closed.

needless to say this isnt spilled oil. I guess the next step is to pull the lower IC pipes and see if im gathering oil. if so... blown turbos

Old 08-07-2013, 05:27 PM
Sponsor

Turbo/s are probably whooped. Unless it's a Borg Warner turbo most other aftermarket turbos are hit or miss.

Are you noticing a loss in boost?

Old 08-07-2013, 05:30 PM
2nd Gear

i have been to the Cypress Hill Smokeout 3x. Thats alot of smoke!

definitely pull the intercoolers and check for oil. it honestly does sound like a blown turbo. those turbos have been on many peoples "Do Not Buy" list for some time. they tend to have problems with oil feed lines and actuators. Usually failure only occurs @ 15psi +. If youve been running these on stock tune @ 8-10psi, they "shouldnt" have failed. this is the problem with buying knock-off turbos. next time get borg warner if youre going k04's. there are also franken turbo f21's, but i'm not a fan.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:41 PM
1st Gear

i guess the only good thing is they have a 1 year warranty but then again they will blow in another 6 months and ill have the same issue all over again. if i had the money for the BW's i wouldve got them but needless to say i dont.

Dont really feel a loss of noticeble power. The thing still moves and ive tried not to push i too much since i have stock tuning. Looks like ill have to pull this ******* motor again and pay for it again and hear about it from my girl again...

and again and again and again

Old 08-07-2013, 07:54 PM
1st Gear

heres the proper site i got the turbos from:

2002 Audi S4 Turbocharger from Car Parts Warehouse | Add to Cart

Old 08-10-2013, 08:44 PM
1st Gear
Default update

i pulled off my lower IC pipes to see if there was oil building up in them.
here is what i saw. Only a little bit, compared to when i replace the turbos in January.

Today:

January:
Significantly more oil. Like a lot more.

I also pulled off the pressure limiting valve attached to the y-pipe because it is loose and there were obvious signs of oil spraying onto the y-pipe. In this picture, i already wiped off the oil and the valve opening on both ends were fairly clean. Tiny bit of oil residue, nothing crazy.

Here is what it looked like in January:

I hope this gives a better picture of what im dealing with. If it is the PCV system, i found a PLV on ebay for $35 or the whole breather hose assembly on a few sites roughly about $140-$200.

Please give me your thought so I know what move i make next. Thank You.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:43 PM
1st Gear

Quick Reply: B5 S4 massive exhaust smoke when off throttle and idle