Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

A6 4.2 and mountain roads

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 12:58 AM
1st Gear
Default A6 4.2 and mountain roads

So this really isn't a racing story, but i met up with some of my buds late one wensday night to get something quick to eat from the local Sonic. Two of the guys hadn't set eyes on my somewhat new audi 4.2 A6 and started asking about it. My other friend knew how much i loved my car and also how much i love to drie it so he suggested they for a nice lil ride to get the whole experience with the car. Now, i'm pretty familiar with all the mountain roads in my area and know which ones will be really let me show off the quattro's amazing handling, so we pile (not exactly true as the room in the rear seats is more then spacious) in my car and head out and up the mountain. I warm up on some light curves and let them get used to the ride, then halfway through the night, i pull to a T-intersection and pull a smooth right to head down the mountain. Now it's time to get serious. The road becomes a challenging track with tight, blind curves that make my tires screech a high not, but the quattro doesn't fail. As one side of the road quickly flys high upward and turns into a mountain side, the other side of the road (closet to me) falls away to about 100ft drop off and nothing but 2 feet of gravel and a gaaurd rail in the way if things go wrong. When i make down to the bottom and let my car cruise through the small town and onto the highway. It wasn't until we made it back to the other guys' car that they finally said something. It was funny watching them get out and give my car a look over again and start asking more questions. And to just top it all off one of the guys traded in his jeep 3 days later and picked up the same exact make and model as mine, even down to the paint. I will admit that i eas a little annoyed that he didn't atleast get a different color, but i'll take the compliment and move on; i want to repaint mine anyway [8D]

Old 01-30-2008, 02:52 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: A6 4.2 and mountain roads

I really don't mean to rain on your parade, but please be extremely carefull about doing that type of thing with other people in the car. It's not cool to make people fear for their lives unless they ask for it and know what they are getting into. Being in control and driving is a whole different feeling from riding and praying. When you really want to get serious and know what you car is truely capable of and how it compares to other cars, take it to the track. It's safe, legal, and relatively cheap........... until you want to go faster and start modding your car.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:39 AM

Holy crap! That would scare the poop outa me if I was riding along. Glad you made it down safely!

Old 01-30-2008, 01:15 PM
1st Gear

If my friend didn't have faith in my driving and know my abilities, he would of never invitied the other two guys to go along for a ride in the first place. And If there is any sort of track in or around the Denver area that's not a drag strip (i.e. Bandimere) I'd love to hear about it because i've been wanting to tack my car to a track for awhile.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Samsonite

If my friend didn't have faith in my driving and know my abilities, he would of never invitied the other two guys to go along for a ride in the first place. And If there is any sort of track in or around the Denver area that's not a drag strip (i.e. Bandimere) I'd love to hear about it because i've been wanting to tack my car to a track for awhile.
Word of advice I learned from riding bikes. Do a shake down run of the road first,you'd be surprised of all the gravel,sand,fallen trees,and other very dangerous debris that can cover the entire road in only 24 hrs. That and a Mountain road leaves no room for errors,and if u fly around a blind curve and lose control in a 4,000lb car you will kill the people coming the opposite way as well as yourself,instead of just taking yourself outon a bike. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOFY2kT5LqA
Me personally I like a nice open road with runoff room and clear lines of sight b4 kickin it up a notch,especially in a car. Not preaching,and as long as ur passnegers were aware you'd be drivin like that it's all good. Just remember that car weighs 4000+lbs and will be incredibly unforgiving to what it hits.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:30 PM
2nd Gear

It always amazes me how many people come on here poting stories like these. NEWSFLASH: Audi's areNOT canyon carvers. They're family cars. They have awd for inclement weather, NOT so you can go trying to emulate a damn Ferrari or Porsche on a twisty road. Grow up and start being more responsible. You wanna show off your Audi, go play around in a rainy or snowy parking lot, not playing Mario Andretti on a mountain road. Seriously people.....[>:][:@][&o]

Old 01-30-2008, 03:24 PM
1st Gear

Bob: Thanks, the guys did know what they were getting into as they got a feel for the driving as i warmed up going up the mtn. And i did ask them throughout the drive how they liked it and never once did they say anything negative. I have driven this road many times and though i say in know it well, i know not to take it for granted. I've grown to learn my car's limitations and know how far to push it, and when to let off; i'd rather slow down and not look "cool" then send my car flying off the edge or into another motorist. Finally, I don't drive like this all the time, i don't drive my audi to tear up the tires and reach high RPM's everyday, but i do enjoy driving my audi to it's full potential at times. Being that it was around midnight on a Wensday helped me to to know that there would be minimum traffic. Thankx again for the feedback and for your support. I acknowledge that is wasn't the safet thing to do, but it's a risk that've i've come to enjoy. And again, if there is any info on a local track in Denver, i would love to exert my need to go fast there rather then a street any day.

SCG: Ok, because you view your audi differently then me, doesn't mean that i'm in the wrong. You use your audi as a family vehicle to get from point A to point B; you're what comsumer reports calls a consumer driver. What pulled you to Audi, was different then what pulled me in. You love the reliablity of the quattro in snow, the safety features, the room, and the comfartable ride that it give you and your family. I, however, was drawn to the quattro's overall handling and cornering. The quick acceleration out of the turns, and the abilty to have a sport sedan that's a little more luxious then the ones that come out of Japan. Audi's are not just family vehicles, they are a premium company that makes cars for everyone's needs. Because you do not see it this way, does not mean that's the way everyone else sees it either. Thanks for your feedback, and realize that everyone has different needs and wants from their audi on here.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:21 PM
1st Gear

You have a huge new facility called Genoa Motorsports Park that should be opening soon as well as High Plains Raceway that I read should be opening in spring of this year. Plus you have a road course at Pueblo Motorsports Park. And don't complain that they are too far away. Anything inside your state would be well worth the drive. Look into it. I promise it's way more fun than driving fast on a mountain road.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:47 PM
1st Gear

Genoa looks pretty sweet, and when high plains opens, it'll be prett nice too. And those too aren't that far at all, but pueblo is really pushing it, think i'll pass on that one. Thankx Z06, hope you're right.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:41 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Samsonite

SCG: Ok, because you view your audi differently then me, doesn't mean that i'm in the wrong. You use your audi as a family vehicle to get from point A to point B; you're what comsumer reports calls a consumer driver. What pulled you to Audi, was different then what pulled me in. You love the reliablity of the quattro in snow, the safety features, the room, and the comfartable ride that it give you and your family. I, however, was drawn to the quattro's overall handling and cornering. The quick acceleration out of the turns, and the abilty to have a sport sedan that's a little more luxious then the ones that come out of Japan. Audi's are not just family vehicles, they are a premium company that makes cars for everyone's needs. Because you do not see it this way, does not mean that's the way everyone else sees it either. Thanks for your feedback, and realize that everyone has different needs and wants from their audi on here.
I realize everybody buys Audi's for different purposes. I bought mine for my wife, because she loves Audis. And we have snow and ice on the ground 5 months out of the year where I live. Let me assure you, I'm far from the 'average consumer'. My Audi doubles as my family car simply because we just had our baby a little over a week ago. But that's not what I originally bought it for, though. I too, am twisty, turns kinda guy. That's why I bought a 350Z. Let me ask you a question- How much did you pay for yourAudi??? Becuase if you wnated something to go tear up some mountain roads, you could've bought an S2000, a 350Z, or something of that nature. If you had to have a practical, yet still sporty car, why not buy a G35, and Evo, or WRX??? Just seems lots of people put themselves in un-needed danger because of this false idea that Audi's are some kind of world-class handlers. I'm not trying to be a dick, really I'm not. But I lost my best friend, and almost died myself,in a car accident while on a 'spirited' drive. All it takes is one tiny slip up, one miniscule mistake, and in the blink of an eye, everything's changed. My friend died on impact, and I sustained severe injuries. The car landed on it's side and was on fire when I came to, and I almost didn't get out on time. Meanwhile, my 4 month pregnant wife was at home w/ no clue of what happened. Things like that happen all the time. Check out the M5 board, where some 18yo was asking about how shifting his 2008 BMW M5. Everyone there flamed him, saying he shouldn't have that car, and he wasn't responsible enough, and that he'd wreck it. Literally hours later, the kid was taking his M5 for a high-speed run on a runway w/ 4 of his friends, lost control, hit a tree, and killed ALL 5 of them. It doesn't take much. I don't mean to sit here and preach to you, because I'm a young car enthusiast myself. But I AM asking that you be careful and use some sense when out driving. If not for your sake, at least for the sake of your passengers and other motorists........

Quick Reply: A6 4.2 and mountain roads