Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

My 2000 A6 2.7t Tip VS RX8

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 02:05 PM
1st Gear

honestly this will hurt you tranny as much as doin a launch in a 6speed s4 hurts the clutch.... like i said if you don't do it at every light then it won't wear anything out any faster than normal... i hope you never launch hard or take off while slipping out the clutch in your little a4.... it might hurt something.... and saying he would need a level 10 torque converter is like saying you need a triple plate clutch in your little 1.8 a4..... not necessary...

Old 08-13-2008, 05:48 PM
1st Gear

Don't do it. It will wreck your tranny. I've done it in my car and its amazing. But I don't have money to throw away.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:25 PM
CIA
1st Gear

well derek,

Do you have something to backup your sayings? I really know that launching an A6 automatic is REALLY not the same as launching an S4 6speed. You my friend compare the engineering of the manual vs automatic. NOT THE SAME.

If it will not hurt anything why suggesting not to do at every light...probably because if you do... you will end breaking something right? So if it was not meant to do this kind of launch why the suggestion?

Keep your ego out of the discussion its not because you have an S4, that i have a ''little A4". And please dont assume how i drive my car.

And for your information with an automatic if you want to launch hard all day long. You NEED AT LEAST a LVL 10 torque converter. Thats the minimum.

Please get your s*** straight before talking. You compare apples with cherries.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:29 PM
1st Gear

lol..and this is partly why i join forums to get entertainment out of these..such a defensive arguement..

Old 08-14-2008, 10:31 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CIA
well derek,

Do you have something to backup your sayings? I really know that launching an A6 automatic is REALLY not the same as launching an S4 6speed. You my friend compare the engineering of the manual vs automatic. NOT THE SAME.

If it will not hurt anything why suggesting not to do at every light...probably because if you do... you will end breaking something right? So if it was not meant to do this kind of launch why the suggestion?

Keep your ego out of the discussion its not because you have an S4, that i have a ''little A4". And please dont assume how i drive my car.

And for your information with an automatic if you want to launch hard all day long. You NEED AT LEAST a LVL 10 torque converter. Thats the minimum.

Please get your s*** straight before talking. You compare apples with cherries.
i didn't say it would not hurt the tranny dipsh*t!! I agree that it is not the best thing for the tranny that is why i did suggest that he not do it at every light..... but doing this every once in awhile will hurt his tranny very very little.....

oh and are you telling me that the s4 tranny was MADE to be launched.... i think not... i highly doubt audi said "you know what lets make this tranny able to take 5000 rpm launches from every light" no they didn't do that... they didn't make the 6spd to launch and they didn't make the tip to launch... so i guess anyone that launches their car period is stupid for doing so... right?? seems like what you are tellin me...

P.S. i can assume how you drive your car if i want..... you can't stop me....

Old 08-14-2008, 11:57 AM
CIA
1st Gear

Please stay polite. Dont act like a 12 years old.

DO YOU HAVE FACTS that doing this "launching" will hurt the tranny very very little???

Its not that hard, either you have facts that it will not hurt the tranny or you dont. I will not enter a mouth off argument with you. Stick to the topic.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:46 PM
1st Gear

show me proof that doin this every once in awhile is extremely harmful..... you told me i was wrong so you prove me wrong...

Last edited by derek072887; 08-14-2008 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:05 PM
CIA
1st Gear

Nice way to avoid the question pal. You dont have proof and thats fine with me.

Last car i had, it was an automatic. The problem with automatic cars is that the transmission can overheat.Some models more than others. By doing your launching techique all you do its overheat the transmission. Everybody know's overheating an engine, a transmission, a bearing...whatever, you will short the life of the part(s).

Long story short. I did overheat my transmission, a couple of times over the years and one day, out of nowhere, transmission was gone. I had to change my transmission because of my driving, i tought that it was indestructible. Well no, its not. A couple of times its enough to do permanent damage. It will start with the tranny slipping, then jerking...you know the rest.

And if you insist i have pictures to proof my point. With engine out of the engine bay and transmission out.

Here is a nice link to learn something new: http://www.samarins.com/maintenance/...in.html#damage

I hope your happy now, and will stop arguing with someone who knows better than you what that kind of launch will do to a tranny.

Last edited by CIA; 08-14-2008 at 06:13 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:27 PM
1st Gear

holding the car there for a matter of seconds will NOT over heat the tranny... the temp may raise by a couple degrees in the tranny but it will NOT over heat it.... Your driving style ovbiously sucks if you over heated a tranny more than once... You had to of been doin full throttle launches after holding the car for half a minute or more!! You have one example of this happening!!!

DOIN THIS EVERY ONCE IN AWHILE IN A RACE WILL NOT SIGNIFICANTLY SHORTEN THE LIFE OF YOUR TRANSMISSION!!! If you wanna prove me wrong then get a trans temp guage and put it in an auto car and show me that the trans over heats after doin a launch.....

I do agree heat is the enemy don't get me wrong but there are trans coolers on 9/10 automatic cars these days to help with that.... if you do a launch once the temp may rise one or two degrees but 30 sec later it is back at operating temp....

Old 08-14-2008, 09:22 PM
CIA
1st Gear

whatever makes you happy. And for your information i had an Earl transmission cooler on the car. It didnt help that much. Look... the day it will happen to you, we will talk again about my ignorance about automatic transmissions. Or maybe not if you stick with manual.

For me this discussion is over.

Quick Reply: My 2000 A6 2.7t Tip VS RX8