Suspension Is your ride slammed to the ground? Did you lift it so high you need a ladder to get in? Step in and let's talk about it.

A4 suspension expert needed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 08:40 PM
1st Gear
Default A4 suspension expert needed!

Have a 99.5 A4 1.8T Quattro with 135K miles. Great car, but having some suspension problems--loose noise coming from front end. Almost like there is a component loose and banging against something else when going over a large bump or pothole. Smooth up and down travel is fine, steering is tight and precise, but loose banging noise when hitting larger bumps--especially when hitting the bump or pothole on just one side. Seems more on the driver's side than passenger. Strange thing is I replaced all the struts, sway bar links and bushings, tie rod ends, upper and lower control arms. Car drives great, just sounds terrible. I know, "just turn up the radio," which I do, but you can feel it as well. Finally gave up and had an independent garage that specializes in Audi take a look. He tore down both sides of the suspension and put it all back together. Found nothing broken or out of the ordinary so he put it all back together and viola, same sound. An alignment seemed to make it a little worse and then a second alignment made it a little better, but something is still not correct. Not a wheel bearing noise, transmission and motor mounts were checked as well. Anyone have any clues? Really appreciate the help.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:49 PM
1st Gear

I really dont want to sound like a newbie on a subject that sounds pretty complicated. I had a similar problem for a while. I had a loose steering rack bolt. Check under the battery for a green 12mm 12sided socket bolt. There is also one on the passenger side (depending on where the clunking is coming from). In my case i just had to tighten that baby up to a sturdy 48lbs/tq and i havent heard a clunk come from the front end since. Let me know if you've already checked those bolts.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:50 AM
5th Gear

did you check your inner brake pad? it's held onto the caliper by clips and can fall out which can make a pretty loud sound over bumps and you can sometimes hear it when you turn hard

Old 01-30-2010, 05:09 AM
Banned
Thumbs down Hi70

A man without reason is a beast in season.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Default A4 suspension expert needed!

Hello mjwhiat. I have a 2000 A4 1.8T 50K miles with the exact same problem. Did you find the problem? I'm thinking to get an upgrade to Bilstein & Eibach combo... But I should get off that horrible sound first. I'll try with the steering bolt under the battery and see if it works...

Old 02-13-2010, 10:21 AM
1st Gear

Also dont want to sound like a newbie on this topic... but i have the exact same problem with my 99.5 a4 yet my suspension runs well like you mentioned. A friend of mine had the same problem with his subaru and he took it in to a subaru/audi specialty shop and the guy there said its very common and he changed out some rubber bushing somewhere in the front end linkage and the problem disappeared. I'm taking mine in next week to do the same but dont want to pay an arm and a leg for a wild turkey chase.
Do you have any updates on your problem? Good luck to you

Old 02-19-2010, 03:26 PM
1st Gear

ok, so i got impatient and jacked my car up myself, braced it side to side and kicked my front wheels from the sides, they clunk when i do it but not when i hit it up and down. I have yet to further investigate but it may be the control arms. Try it out if you dont already have this fixed

Last edited by bryso21; 02-23-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:22 PM
Thumbs up Noise almost gone

Hey guys.... I jacked my car last weekend looking for the root cause. It was a loose power steering bolt also my left tie rod was damaged. I jacked because I saw some oil in my garage.... So I had to cut off the rubber of the tie rod and it was damaged.... Now I'm waiting for the new parts to get it back on the road..... That advise about the bolt was really helpful.... never tought about it but i solved with that.... anyway it will be a good idea to check your tie rods... let me know what happen..