Suspension Is your ride slammed to the ground? Did you lift it so high you need a ladder to get in? Step in and let's talk about it.

Coilovers vs. Springs & Tein Coilovers

Old 06-04-2007, 07:35 PM
1st Gear
Default Coilovers vs. Springs & Tein Coilovers

New to Audi's and I have two questions. I apologize in advance for the most like repetitive nature of this question, but when I try to use the search feature I get a billion results, and sorting through them is not working out well. If you can direct me to past posts that address either question, I will happily go read them.

1. The eternal debate. Springs vs. coilovers. I've always had coilovers on my past cars because as a perfectionist, I really enjoy the idea of adjustability exactly to my liking. However, the coilovers seem to be about $900 more than the springs, so I'm wondering if I should try out just using springs. Opinions? Also, if you are someone doing just springs, did you replace shocks, too? I'm being told yes do replace them and no don't by numerous people.
2. Does anyone have theTien coilovers? I'm wondering how you like it (how's the ride, etc.)?

Old 06-05-2007, 10:15 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Coilovers vs. Springs & Tien Coilovers

Well, the real question is, Are you actually going to adjust the coilovers and tune your suspension for high performance driving? Coilovers do indeed give you much more adjustability if you know how to tune it properly. (ie.. corner-balancing with corner scales). What is your goal here? Are you going to trackit and try to squeeze out maximum performance? If your answer is yes, then spend the money and get the coilovers. If you want a car that you can drive everyday and take it out for an occaisional track day, then get a set of lower/stiffer springs, sway bar, strut bar (ie.. stiffen up frame). Remember, as performance increases, daily comfort decreases.
BTW, aGood set of coil-overs will cost more than $900 the cost of springs. Good luck!!

https://www.audiforums.com/m_550173/tm.htm

Old 06-08-2007, 07:44 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Coilovers vs. Springs & Tien Coilovers

Not planning on tracking the car. I'm just a perfectionist and feel like if I take the time to put on the springs and then it just looks OK, and every time I walk out to the garage I'm going to be like "Damn that would look hot, if it were 1/2" lower......" I will not be happy. Once I get the ride height adjusted to where it looks good but is not rubbing, etc., I probably won't ever adjust them again. The prices I'm actually looking at are $187 for H&R springs and $1,055 for H&R coilovers. I was mistakenly told that Tein makes a coilover kitfor B7, but later found out that they only make it for the quattro (not me).