VAG-COM (*New* section) Need some help with a VAG-COM? Have some good advice to offer others using a VAG-COM?

HELP VAG-COM TBA needed ='(

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 12:38 AM
1st Gear
Default HELP VAG-COM TBA needed ='(

Ok so my engine has stupid rpm issues i want to do a throttle body adaption im NOT payong 400$ to ross tech they can screw them selfs. i paid 9$ for a kkl vagcom from china and the piece of **** wont even work on the software THEY INCLUDED it only works on this chinese non rosstech software and i cant read any of it and some of it my computer cnt read so it shows fractions and stuff like this (Ì* ' ¿nÈgÅžNLN) i cant read this so its of no help i just want to do a throtle body adaption.. please some one give a link or a answer on how i can make my VAG-COM KKL work with vcds lite its in com3 on my pc. i click test and it says PORT STATUS :OK INTERFACE:NOT FOUND!!!
CONTACT HARDWARE SUPPLIER
-_- why cant **** just work? why cant i plug in the damn cable and it have a happy face your cars fixed have a nice day . if only ..... and yes i downloaded VM WARE 5.0 partioned out the disk made a windows xp proffesional bullshit... thats how i got the edition of vcds they provided to even work! then it gave a error and im farly intelligent with computers so speak geak and il understand xD thanks everybody anything helps.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:12 AM
Administrator

Unfortunately I don't think any amount of partitioning is going to fix your problem, which is that you're trying to use a $9 Chinese knockoff Vag Com.

If you can't get it to connect, you could also try just turning the key on for a minute or two without starting the car. The throttle body will make a high pitched whining/buzzing sound while it's aligning itself. Not as good as a Vag Com TBA but better than nothing!

Old 10-01-2012, 08:41 AM

so your running a mac with vm ware. I have an ebay cable and my full version works fine. google the problem you have --interface not found. theres a few you tubes that will show you what to change to make it work. Another problem you will probably encounter is you wont get a full reading cause it will time out. I forget the exact reason but its something along the lines the interfaces chip doesn't keep with with the repetition of the scan so you get a time out error.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:00 PM
1st Gear

il try that. and im on a windows 7 computer. compatibility mode xp sp3 didnt let the program start so i downloaded vm ware and downloaded a windows xp iso with key .. i have access to any programs on the market i pirate stuff... so if that helps at all? i just need drivers for the kkl vag com cable

Old 10-01-2012, 09:11 PM
2nd Gear

I could never get my cheap knockoff cable to work, I returned it and bought a more expensive one $60 that's plug and play after installing drivers. The problem with cheap cables is they have a USB-Serial converter which never plays nice with anything, the better ones are native USB, basically a copy of the hardware of a legit cable with hacked firmware. I think the latest version is called the vag commander, but don't quote me on that.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:58 AM
1st Gear

love this car but im getting more and more agrivated with it..... mother ******* car has so many damn problems!!!!!
engine ticking
squeak ac noise
missing engine pieces...
airbag
5w-50 oil -_-
bad radiator hose
parasitic draw
... hey it runs and has ac..... barley

Old 10-02-2012, 03:04 AM
1st Gear
Default There may be a way without the cable

Cheap USB eBay cables work fine with VAG-COM (older) and also with the newer version VCDS. Only vcds will work on 64bit PCs. I personally run vag-com on xp mode through windows 7 and it works fine providing i adjust the com settings and decrease the latency. (need to ensure that you attached the USB to serial hardware to your virtual machine. Assuming you have a licensed copy of vag or vcds. I don't think this forum promotes piracy, so I will leave it at that.

There is a way without OBD. (though this will be argued by some)
1. Open your drivers door fully. (leave open)
2. Turn ignition to accessories (don't put foot on pedals)
- actually don't touch anything but the key.
3. Wait and listen.
- you will hear the throttle adjusting itself
4. Turn the ignition to off after about 2 mins (to be safe)
5. Remove key, close door
6. Fire her up!

This seems to work for my 1.8
Some say it does nothing but i disagree, as you cannot really expect someone to take the car to a dealer for an adjustment every time you disconnect the battery. Plus I use both ways and the result seems the same. Though I have not checked the timing and cannot be 100% certain.

Good luck.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Juszzy
Cheap USB eBay cables work fine with VAG-COM (older) and also with the newer version VCDS. Only vcds will work on 64bit PCs. I personally run vag-com on xp mode through windows 7 and it works fine providing i adjust the com settings and decrease the latency. (need to ensure that you attached the USB to serial hardware to your virtual machine. Assuming you have a licensed copy of vag or vcds. I don't think this forum promotes piracy, so I will leave it at that.

There is a way without OBD. (though this will be argued by some)
1. Open your drivers door fully. (leave open)
2. Turn ignition to accessories (don't put foot on pedals)
- actually don't touch anything but the key.
3. Wait and listen.
- you will hear the throttle adjusting itself
4. Turn the ignition to off after about 2 mins (to be safe)
5. Remove key, close door
6. Fire her up!

This seems to work for my 1.8
Some say it does nothing but i disagree, as you cannot really expect someone to take the car to a dealer for an adjustment every time you disconnect the battery. Plus I use both ways and the result seems the same. Though I have not checked the timing and cannot be 100% certain.

Good luck.
This method only works when the following conditions are met:

Originally Posted by Ross-Tech website
Here are certain test conditions that must be met before doing a TBA:

-No DTC's in the Engine Controller
-Battery voltage at least 11.5 V
-Throttle must be at idling position (keep your foot off the gas pedal)
-Throttle body part must not be dirty (carbonized).
-Coolant temperature must be between 5 and 95C

Last edited by MetalMan; 10-02-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:20 AM
1st Gear

figureed it out went to my dads were the cars being stored said hmm (interface) maybe it just needs to be connected to the car sure enough .... wow im a dumb *** 8$ vag com works =)!!!!!! i found EVERY PROBLEM so happy i have so many codes to sort through tho
-_-