VAG-COM (*New* section) Need some help with a VAG-COM? Have some good advice to offer others using a VAG-COM?

VagCom Setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 11:41 AM
1st Gear
Default VagCom Setup

Ok, so I've had my TT since last October, I've done a couple mods, and have some more planned for this next week. Looking at VagCom and the price it sucks! But, I found it on ebay for $10 and from the searches I ran that cable only works with the older versions of the software. So, I'm wondering if the updates are just more user friendly or do you really want the updates? With that price is the basics worth it? Also, does anyone know if Lemmewinks (I know, I can't spell) will work with that cable? Thanks!

Old 01-30-2007, 03:47 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: VagCom Setup

With out knowing exactly what you purchased we really can't help you.

The newer versions of Vag-Com, have a nicer interface, more codes, can connect to the Can Bus, & are faster.
You will only be able to use the trial software, not the full version. It is totally worth the $250!

Lemi likes serial cables, & seams to work best on Com 1, 2 or 3. If you purchase a USB cable, you will need a serial port emulator to use Lemi.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:34 PM
1st Gear

I actually haven't ordered it yet but here's what I am looking at: eBay

Thanks for the info though. I'm just trying to find out if it will do basically the same stuff and get me by until after I do the big upgrades to where I will need to tune it.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:52 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: stephenson27

I actually haven't ordered it yet but here's what I am looking at: eBay

Thanks for the info though. I'm just trying to find out if it will do basically the same stuff and get me by until after I do the big upgrades to where I will need to tune it.
It will work with Vag & Lemi.
But it will be restricted use for Vag-com, unless you buy the software from VAG-Com for $100.

IMHO, I want to keep Ross-Tech (vag-com) in business, so they keep releasing & making new software.
So I paid up the $250 for the tool & software with free updates. They also have a cable tradein program, so when new stuff comes out, I can get it cheaply.

Now what's important to you? Do you want to do logging, & use the Can bus? Or just read codes? There is nothing worse then only having half the tool when you really need it!

Old 01-30-2007, 04:57 PM

if your an Audi nut then VAG is unbeatable for the price ( cheap at twice the price ) nothing and I mean nothing can beat it even snap on, its a dedicated software program to VW/Audi

Old 01-30-2007, 07:14 PM
1st Gear

Gotcha! If it's that good then that's what I'll get. Knowing somethings are less expensive if you piece them together rather than purchase a premade kit, like turbo kits for example. Being new I didn't want to over spend when I shouldn't. Thanks for the help.