West AK, CA, NV, OR, UT, HI, WA, ID

Any fun roads in So Cal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 10:57 PM
1st Gear
Default Any fun roads in So Cal?

So yeah.. I was just wondering if there are any members in my area (San Fernando Valley, Ca) that know of any fun roads/ canyons.. etc. I have a TT quattro, and it's been awhile since I've been able to race through the twisties. I really like taking Topanga Canyon Blvd south of Mulholland Dr. all the way to Malibu. It's a pretty fun drive. If anybody knows of some fun roads to excercise my quattro... I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:17 AM
Default RE: Any fun roads in So Cal?

alright, I lived down there for most of my life and these are my favs....when you are on topanga, and you get into the "city" theres a right (coming from the valley) onto old topanga canyon (it's about six miles long, 3 up 3 down...and a ton of fun...my best time was in my miata (just about 6 min(by the way, I have not once seen a cop on this road and I had driven it every other night for over two years)))...when you get to the end of old topanga you hit mulholland take a left and then you have a bit of a trek on your hands....on your left in a few miles down the road you will hit stunt road (a bunch of my friends are up there mid day every sunday (as long as it's dry))...I would like to add that this is a popular spot and is driven by alot of bikes and such, so the best time to go is late night, it's all uphil, but the way back down is a blast!...if you stay on mulholland, keep going for a long while, go through Las Virgenes and another ten miles or less on mulholland theres a newly paved part that is also really fun (and the grade isn't too bad so it's fun up/down(stay away on sundays, there will be no less than 100 bikes on nice sundays)...
If you are up for a bit of a drive... Angeles Crest is amazing!...since it's winter you shouldn't go more than about 20 miles up (snow/ice)...but during the summer when it is completely clear and open it's a 40 mile canyon that leads you straight to palmdale/lancaster area...the nice part of this canyon is that it has a little bit of everything (ups/downs/hairpins/sweepers/and at night you sill almost always find yourself alone).
you can probably google these to find them....besides that I would like to add that my friends and I have a set of rules that we drive by, and I just want to keep our canyons as safe as possible....
first idea is never hit the canyons with your friends (ie: when you and your friend are racing through the canyons you tend to push it to the limits (and i have definately spun out more than a few times chasing a car/driver that was faster than me)
pre-run the canyon in the daytime, so that you know what you are getting into, and then hit it hard late at night when there will most likely be no traffic on the road (pretty much anytime after 11pm is pretty safe)
there's a difference between driving fast and driving like you have nothing to live for...basically if anyone is in your car and they know what they are getting into (go for it, I usually always have someone in the passenger seat(usually a gf)), but at the same time never hit the canyons with someone who doesn't want to (this should not be used to "kill time")...I take the twisties seriously, mainly becuase I have lost friends and flipped cars at outrageous speeds....so , I guess i am trying to say that you should only drive like you have nothing to live for if there is no possible way to injur anyone besides yourself....

hope you have some fun!
if you just drive around the santa monica mountains you will find a bunch of fun little diserted roads (that I can't remember the names of)...

Old 02-19-2007, 05:03 AM
1st Gear

damn.. thanks that was a good write up. Of all the times I've hit topanga, I don't know why I've never tried old topanga. I completely forgot about angeles crest. I go up to Palmdale almost every weekend, I get off and the same exit.. pearblossom/angeles crest. I've always practised my canyons alone, then started showing friends. Thanks again for the angeles crest idea too.. next time i'm up that way i'll check it out.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:27 AM

don't take it any further east off of the 14!...you would take angeles crest starting in la canada/la crescenta area, and head up....when you are already out in palmdale you can run it back (it's probably blocked off this time of year), but don't run any further east or it's just a waste of gas...oh, and you will definately have a blast on old topanga!

Old 02-19-2007, 08:28 AM

I was just looking at your sig and I your tt is hott!(I really like the wheels)...besides that, is that pic taken on the top story of the smc parking garage? ... if not, it definately looks similar to it...

Old 02-19-2007, 09:46 PM
1st Gear

Hey thanks for te compliment. Actually it was taken with my crap-tacular cell phone.. on the top of the CSUN parking structure. Thanks again.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:45 PM

Lateral G is a great resource for fun California roads.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:59 PM
1st Gear

thanks. that is a great site!

Old 02-23-2007, 03:02 AM

You bet. The following are some awesome roads for twisty runs. Check out the event that I am hosting called the Palms to Pines Twisty Run. I just posted it. The 74 south,79 south,S1 south,76 east, the S6/S7,S22 toward Anza Borrego State Park (one of the best roads in So. Cal), 38 heading up into the mountains from Redlands, the 330 to Big Bear, the road to Mt. Baldy (right above Claremont), Glendora Ridge Road (one of the best you will find near Diamond Bar), Frazier Park Road (going to Mt. Pinos), the 2 (Angeles Crest) to Mt. Wilson, 138 east (off of the 15) toward Silverwood Lake, and many more. The majority of the roads I mentioned have hardly any traffic on Sunday mornings. Just my two cents.

OcGoatHerd
http://media.putfile.com/Sweet-Thunder-18-inch-exhaust-05-GTO

Old 02-23-2007, 05:31 PM

S22 toward Anza Borrego State Park (one of the best roads in So. Cal)
Also one of the most dangerous roads going in that direction. Coming down from Ranchita into Borrego Springs the downward grade is pretty severe, throw in hairpin turns and if there are any accidents on the road your brakes better be in top condition. Happened to me on my only trip down from Ranchita, a flipped over equiptment truck was blocking the eastward lane and I had to slam on my Brembo's (only going 30-40 down the hill) to stop in time. Coming up from Borrego Springs is a more enjoyable ride in my opinion, but you don't get the breathtaking views of the Anza-Borrego Desert & the Salton Sea.