Wheels and Tires Post up threads with questions about wheels and tires for your Audi here

Azev rims - in North America?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 01:05 AM
1st Gear
Default Azev rims - in North America?

Have 2010 A3, in meteor grey pearl effect. I like the car and like the colour

When i bought the car, i also bought the sport package: however, overall i have not been super happy with it (apart from the seats, which are great!).

The Continental Sport Contact tires have been a disappointment: they are sticky - yes - but super squirmy and really unpleasant to drive. The car shimmies badly over any irregularity in the road, and things like tire grooves and rail road tracks are just terrible to drive over as the car hunts all over the place. It's like the tire side walls are way too soft: you pretty much have to pre-load the tire when going into a turn to make it perform predictably: and I'm pretty sure I've managed to get them to roll over on their sides as well when cornering (kind of) hard.

The magnetic ride suspension is also kind of lame: sure, the compression damping is increased when turned on (which for me is about 95% of the time), but the spring rate is still way too soft. So, it works well for small movements, but you can still get a fair bit of roll over on hard cornering.

The sport package is overall pretty lame: awesome seats, but sub-par performance parts. It's more like a "Hey, look at my cool 18" wheels", but Audi made sure the suspension and tires are soft enough to not deter people buying this "because I don't want to jar my back!"

This became really evident when I bought a second set of wheels / tires for the car for winter: I got some cost effective 17" alloy rims (ultra Wheels Slalom I think) and Michelin Primacy Alpine tires, and the handling of the car IMPROVED substantially - with WINTER tires!!! WTF???

I had my winter wheels / tires put on last week: i had my (awesome!) garage check one of my summer tires because it was slowly loosing air: they found that THREE of the Continental tires had screws / nails in them and that at least one was not repairable. The OEM tires are more than 50% used anyway, so i'm either looking at buying a new tire to match a set of tires that i think are poor performers and will only last one more season, or just biting the bullet and buying a whole new set of tires - something that I'll actually be happy with for the next 3-4 years.

The next thing is that my 17" winter wheels actually accelerate BETTER than my 18" summer wheels. Of course, there is angular momentum of the larger 18" rim, but the external diameter of the tires are the same: I just think the OEM 18" rims are perhaps not the lightest out there?

Long story here, is I'm now looking at getting new summer tires / rims: the tires would probably be Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s and the rims that I REALLY want would be Azev Type M Neros - i think these could look pretty cool on the meteor grey - any opinions on this? This is my first time not using silver rims...

The other issue is that the Azev wheels don't seem to be sold in North America - that means that they are going to be hard to get and expensive - both things that I'm not exactly stoked on. So, any ideas how to get these rims in North American? if not, any alternate rim options would be great: i like the 5 spoke look (or twined 5 or 7 spoke like the RS4 had).

Anyway, at this point I'm rambling, but last question is: "does anyone know what offset I should be looking for? I'm probably going to re-do the shocks in the car over the next year as well (KW variants?) but I don't want to lower it too much as I do need it to remain practical for snow driving too.

Pics of my car (well, not my ACTUAL car, but the same config) and the Azev Type M Nero rims included...

Attached Thumbnails Azev rims - in North America?-audi-a3-meteor-pearl.jpg   Azev rims - in North America?-typ_m_nero_hpm.jpg  

Last edited by knolly; 11-06-2011 at 01:19 AM.