Wheels and Tires Post up threads with questions about wheels and tires for your Audi here

which tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 11:38 PM
1st Gear

i got bf goodrich g-force sports with rim protector....they look much beefier than other tires and handle pretty darn good for the street.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:14 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by gaberossi
i got bf goodrich g-force sports with rim protector....they look much beefier than other tires and handle pretty darn good for the street.
+1 on that i had those on some 18 on my last car

Old 09-15-2009, 10:55 AM

I've been running a set of Yokohama S.drives 225/40/18 and I love them. Highly recommend them for our cars. It is the first tire that I have not needed to replace due to potholes, punctures, bad alignment, etc. I have had issues with every other brand(Pirelli, Continental, Nitto) but these Yokohamas are by far the best overall. I have yet to put air in them since I've bought them. They run around $148 at The Tirerack, that's where I got them.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:36 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by audi guru
i am buying new rims and tires for my car and have narrowed it down to a few tires. was wondering if anybody had them or had heard about these(they are all 225/40ZR18 92W):

Dunlop SP Sport Signature
Kuhmo Ecsta ASX
continental ContiExtremeContact

thanx in advance
I'm in the same dilemma right now. A year ago, I would have said stay away fro, the ContiExtremeContact because the original design was terrible in the rain, questionable on dry, and live-able in the snow. The new design, however, outperformed all of the all-seasons on TireRacks's wet track test by a large margin and kept up in the corners on the dry track. Read the test data, reviews, and video on the new CEC DWS (or whatever it's called). You'll be suprised, and I think these are the street tires I might go for.

The Khumos are a grrat bargain, but they suck in the rain and the tread life if usually the shortest of all the all-season tires. But, with tires, you generally get what you pay for. They have great dry response, but loose grip on the edge.

Dunlop SPs are sporty tires. They are good in the dry, provide stability at the edge, and offer enough traction in the rain to get to work, but they aren't usually the greatest in heavy rain or snow. Check the TireRack comparisons, you'll likely find another tire that outperforms the Dunlop SP for a lesser price.

So, out of the tires you picked, get the ContiExtremeContacts DWS(?) and tell me how you like them. If you don't like them, I'm going back to Yokohama.

And for the record, if you want all out performance, go with a Bridgestone that fits your driving needs. They are really the top performing tire, with Michelin a close second, but these tires are usually considerably more expensive.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:42 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Tweaked
And for the record, if you want all out performance, go with a Bridgestone that fits your driving needs. They are really the top performing tire, with Michelin a close second, but these tires are usually considerably more expensive.
Samsclub has Bridgestone. I was checkin those out. I've always heard Michelin were good.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:09 AM
2nd Gear

I'd usually go with Bridgestone or Michelin, though the above comments on the new Continentals makes me wonder....