Wheels and Tires Post up threads with questions about wheels and tires for your Audi here

Tread wear!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 01:45 AM
3rd Gear

Hey George!!! Where have you been lately?
I just cooked some cevapcici tonight and was thinking about you
Good to see ya back.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:32 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Saxrasta
You guys are all wrong about the under-inflation/tire pressure thing as being the cause of this problem! Bob Martin had it right, suspension. And he's right about pressure not affecting radials as much. So whoever said under-inflation or over-inflation plain & simple...guess again. There's way more to it! Suspension problems are difficult to pinpoint as the mechanic showed me. Not trying to battle anyone. I hope this can help other Audi owners with Quattro experiencing similar issues.
It was not a guess!! I have lots of experience with with both radials and bias ply tires on the street and races tracks.

Radials do wear on the edges (both) if underinflated, but not as much as the older bias ply tires. If the wear was only the outside (or inside) edges of the front tires then the prob would be alignment. Most likely toe out if both tires show the same wear but it could be camber.

One would expect that any competent mechanic would make sure the suspension was OK before doing an alignment. It's not rocket science! The mechanic that told you that suspension problems are "difficult" to pinpoint needs to get some schooling. Problems like yours are usually not found because the mechanic lacks knowledge or is too lazy to do the job right.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:17 PM
1st Gear

Actually my mechanic specializes in imports such as Audi, Mercedes, VW, etc. He even showed me what he was talking about. These problems aren't shown by loose wobbly wheels with the car up on the rack. He had to really pry to show the play. I think the unibody frame may have somehow bent slightly, and I think the struts are a contributing factor.
Again, not trying to get into arguments here, but when I tell you tire inflation isn't the issue, you can be sure I know that for a fact. I do a lot of my own upkeep work like oil changes, brake pads & rotors, spark plugs, other filters & fluids. I don't have the facilities to go much beyond that. But I definitely have a good general understanding of cars and can identify most common problems.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:03 AM
1st Gear

Chefro,

My cousin goes crazy about cevapcici. Goes to Florida, a store down there makes them for sale, she fills a cooler with them and brings them home. Recipe I read says they're basically rolled out ground beef mix.

I'd rather have gra i kupus.

Midnight,

Damn. Now that tire is on the left. I was gonna make more right turns to even out. Guess that'll just wear that one out even faster.

So much for Pirellis. Tried Coopers. Maybe some Contis next time. Don't THINK I am gonna buy Hankook.

Cheers,

George