Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turbo upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 10:41 AM
1st Gear
Question turbo upgrade

I have a 2004 A6, 2.7t, 6spd, and am considering upgrading the turbos (stage 3), along with all the other essential mods, ie injectors, icu flash, dps, catback, maf, clutch, etc.

What turbo kit to buy is the question. I know it is a very broad question, and i have searched high and low on the Internet and the forums, for various opinions. I am liking the rs6 turbos - has anyone got specific experience with these? I believe they are K04-028/029.

I would appreciate your help with selecting a clutch as well- I like to have OEM drivability (feel); not sure which clutch will support the power and give me that.

I would also like to change the gearing on my 6spd tranny. Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:49 PM
3rd Gear

Good luck, man. I hope you have deep pockets because to do this right will set you back $4-6k. The clutch in my signature has been in from 90->231k miles and always had the same pedal feel as the original clutch, but it is a stage 2. If you go for a 3, it may have to be stiffer to handle the increased power. BTW, the reason I replaced the clutch and FW was the simple stage 1 chipping.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:41 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the reply. Which make, model clutch did you run?

You are right about the 4-6k, but that's only with Chinese turbos. To get BW or TiAl turbos, you are pretty much there with only the turbos. So you are probably looking at 8-10k! At which point you really need to be committed to spend that kind dough.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:39 PM
Administrator

What turbos you choose depends on what your goals are. The initial post is too open. How much power are you looking for? Daily driver or weapons-grade weekend toy? O you care about lag? You can choose from anything making 450hp or so, on up into the 700+whp range on TiAL 770r turbos. Your clutch options will depend on your output as well, and your output will reflect your intended use for the car.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:16 PM
3rd Gear

All true, and from what I have read the bigger the turbos, you may need something like RS6 fuel rails (or at least injectors) and a larger fuel pump. The ante keeps going up but the engine can put out prodigious hp. My signature shows a stage 2 AWE clutch - not sure if it is branded differently but it has lasted from the 90k when I installed it until the current 231k. I do NOT race this car, but I do accelerate hard on occasion on entrance ramps and to pass. I just don't drop the clutch and try to smoke the tires -- that won't happen in a 2-ton car with quattro. Not without a lot more mods and a willingness to keep replacing broken stuff. (I had a '78 CJ7 built for mudding with 38" tires, a double lift and f/r positraction-- been there, done that)

Old 08-25-2014, 08:07 AM
1st Gear

Thanks Devil and ppgoal for your replies.

I am looking for a daily driver with around 500whp. I would like to have very little turbo lag. Like ppgoal, I will not race the car, but I do drive hard occasionally. I tried a hard acceleration, like a launch once- revved upto 3000 rpm and then dropped the clutch- all I got was a bunch of burned clutch smell. Another time a front cv joint failed, leaving me dead in the water.
So I won't do anything stupid, just want gobs of power when I need it, once in a while.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Ok, I'll ask this straight up since I don't know your past experience - are you sure you need 500whp? I ask because:

1 - getting that much from a 2.7L V6 with AWD means your chp is going to be closer to 600, which means big turbos with considerable lag. Not going to make that power with quick spooling turbos on an engine that size.

2 - you could combat the lag by upping the displacement to 3.0L and going smaller on the turbos, but is that much expense worth it for "occasional" hard boost?

3 - are you ready to drop $10k or more on an 11-year-old, depreciating car, to achieve this power?

4 - have you driven a car with that much power, so that you know you need that much? Granted it's lighter than your car but a 400whp S4 hauls ***. In my mind, and coming from a background with a 446whp 300ZX, it's a lot of power. More than enough entertainment for quite a bit less money than 500whp.

Again, no animosity intended in my posting this - if you haven't driven cars with a lot of power, you should experience them to see if your stated power goal is what you really need/want, or if you're underestimating the lethality of a lower and less expensive amount of power. If you have the money and the desire, do it up, but be sure you're informed before committing to that kind of setup.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:56 AM
1st Gear

How about 400whp? I have driven a Porsche 911 n/a, and it was really fast and fun. My friend used to have a Dodge Stealth, so I have experienced that power as well. I have also driven an Infinity M45. All of these had a lot less power than 400whp, and were a lot of fun to drive. I have driven a Mustang SVT Also, which probably was the closest to 400whp of all the above. The best of course was the Porsche 911.

Thanks for asking the questions, Devil. You made me think, and I believe now that 400whp would be more than enough for what I am trying to get out if it.