B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Stuck steering

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 08:22 PM
1st Gear
Default Stuck steering

Today, it was pouring outside and I decided to still go out a few miles just for fun. Once I got to shopping plaza, I parked it and instantly noticed that Brake light as well as Battery light came on. I had not switched off the car yet. I turned it off and back on which was fine but the 2 lights remained on. I checked to make sure that I had not pulled hand brake by mistake which I hadn't. When I tried to back up, realized that actually my steering wheel was stuck in one spot, I could wiggle it without moving the tires but was unable to do anything to vehicle's direction. Then, I noticed that the temp gauze went up halfway b/w midline and Hot. I let the car cool down, then checked to find that the coolant level was a bit low but not too low. Coolant was filled (I carry all that **** in trunk ). But still the brake light and battery light is on and I am unable to steer. I am able to change gears..go front/back and through each gear. Any clue would be awesome?
-Can it be that power assist is gone? But there is no noise that I could hear?? FYI---I changed the rack and pinion 1 year ago!

Tx- Bix

Last edited by bixing; 05-05-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Did you check to be sure you didn't lose the accessory belt or tensioner? That'd kill the power steering assist as well as keep the alternator from charging anything (which could be the reason for your battery light).

Old 05-06-2012, 08:12 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
Did you check to be sure you didn't lose the accessory belt or tensioner? That'd kill the power steering assist as well as keep the alternator from charging anything (which could be the reason for your battery light).
I will go check the timing belt. But how do I check to see if tensioner is gone? Is there a way to know that without opening down to it? And where is the accessory belt- I always thought there is only one belt? Thanks

Old 05-06-2012, 08:57 AM
Administrator

The accessory belt, not the timing belt. The accessory belt is the one you can see - the timing belt is the one under the covers, which requires disassembly to reach. If the tensioner is bad enough, you may see it wobble/oscillate slightly with the engine running, but even if it's not, it still may not be driving the accessories enough.

You can also bleed the power steering system - put the front wheels off the ground, take off the PS cap, and start the car. Turn the wheel lock to lock 10-15 times in each direction and then check fluid level, top off as needed with Pentosin CHF11S. This pumps any air in the system out, and may help. If the fluid level drops during this, it's a sign that you had air in the system.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:09 PM
1st Gear

Just looked at the car now that it is not raining and I have the car to get there.
The belt has torn into half.. Just to make sure that I am on the same page..

2 belts are there
a) the one which we see after opening the plastic cover right in front of the engine and you are able to see a part of it. This is intact and has good tension. ( I believe it is the timing belt)
b) This is the broken belt which is right behind the radiator. I think it runs on this motor thingi which we probably call the alternator. Is this the acessory belt? And is there a reason why this would cause the brake light and battery light to stay 'on'?
Also, checked the battery terminals. They were tight but I could get the sparks by rubbing it against the respective terminals even with the engine off!

Now, if it is the accessory belt, I feel I can change it but do you guys think that this is it! And that this does explain everything that happened. With some envcouragement, I think I can get it towed to my garage and repair it myself!

Tx-Bix

Old 05-06-2012, 07:50 PM
1st Gear

lol the serpentine belt is the only belt on the car that is visible... unless you did a timing cover delete then there should be only one belt thats visible which is the one in between the engine and radiator. If that belt is torn up then that means your altenator is not working and neither is your powersteering. replace the belt and you should be fine...

Old 05-06-2012, 08:34 PM
1st Gear

Thanks.
Now, I searched tons over the past almost 45 minutes. Found tons of links for timing belt change which show how to change the serpentine aka accessory belt. I could get threads where people talked about changing this belt without taking the front off? But none of those links work anymore... Anyone mind giving me some tips/ideas?
Bix

Old 05-07-2012, 02:56 AM
1st Gear

If you realy want to repair this yourself I would suggest to at least get a Haynes repair book about your car ( VW Passat 1998 thru 2005 and Audi A4 1996 thru 2001 Repair Manual for models with 1.8L four-cylinder turbo and 2.8L V6 engines. Does not include diesel engine, W8 engine or S4 model information. ) seing what knowledge you have so far.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:50 PM
1st Gear

Ok.
Here is where I am. I have taken off the front part almost completely except that the coolant lines are still on. I am trying to figure out where to take them off ( do I really need to?). I have the manuals and online timing belt DIYs but none of them talk about how to take those lines off. I donot see a way how I can take the front lock carrier off without taking those lines off at some point. I have uploaded the pics.
I have put red dots on the point where the coolant lines connect to radiator as well as where there is a junction in the coolant lines on the drivers side before they hug the radiator and connect into the radiator.
Please take a look and gimme ur 2c!

Tx

Attached Thumbnails Stuck steering-pic-1.jpg   Stuck steering-pic-2.jpg  
Old 05-08-2012, 08:01 PM
1st Gear

You can loosen up the radiator and tilt it forward enough to give yourself some space in there. You don't need to drain the coolant or disconnect the coolant lines.

Note that the serpentine belt tensioner is spring loaded with a strong spring. You'll want to lock it in place with a pin of some sort or, preferably, buy yourself a new tensioner.

Quick Reply: Stuck steering