B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Vibration at idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 08:23 PM
Default Vibration at idle

My car vibrates something nasty at idle. It's a 1.8T Tip car. I've replaced all my coil packs because I had one that was misfiring. I am wondering if I have fouled injectors. My mechanic has gone through this car completely... checked the motor mounts and all the belt driven accessories. All are in good working order. I'm stumped. Any ideas from someone who knows what they are talking about?

Old 02-15-2008, 10:45 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Vibration at idle

Well my car is a little rough it seems at idle. But the car runs just find. Idle never dips, or accelorates. Never shuts off. No lights come on. It's just the way the engine runs. Honestly if some ones gone through to make sure nothings wrong. I wouldn't worry. Granted my car isn't chipped. 1.8t engine though. So I'd assume they'd run the same. But what do I know ha, I'm no mechanic

Old 02-16-2008, 03:24 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: beefyosito

My car vibrates something nasty at idle. It's a 1.8T Tip car. I've replaced all my coil packs because I had one that was misfiring. I am wondering if I have fouled injectors. My mechanic has gone through this car completely... checked the motor mounts and all the belt driven accessories. All are in good working order. I'm stumped. Any ideas from someone who knows what they are talking about?
Did you ever to a TBA using a Vag-com?

Old 02-17-2008, 02:12 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Pson

ORIGINAL: beefyosito

Did you ever to a TBA using a Vag-com?
I don't know if you did do this but changing the coils packs and plugs will change this a bit. With the gas in area area and the crappy weather I would first dump a can of seam foam in the comb camber and gas tank. Then get a Vag-com and do a TBA after this is all done. Chips will act very funny if this is off, but when your puching the petal...you won't feel it. You should also see a change in you MPG too along with this little problem.

I was thinking at first mounts, but the coil pack is another story.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:15 PM
1st Gear

I've noticed my 1.8T (stock) vibrating a little more lately. I can feel it in my hands through the steering wheel. It's been super cold here in Milwaukee, so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it. I haven't adjusted my Throttle Body in awhile, so I'll give that a shot. Does the Vag Com method produce the same results as the following:

Originally posted by JoJo on Audizine (A4 Easter Egg Thread)
Manual throttle body adaptation:

"The Throttle is "Drive By Wire" and adapts to your particular driving style. Do a TBA Throttle body adaption).

1. Get in your car, it doesn't matter if you close the door or not.

2. Turn the key to the on position, the position just before the starter turns over.

3. Press the gas pedal to the floor with the key in the "on" position.

4. Hold the pedal to the floor for five seconds, then turn the key back to the "off" position(don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.

5. Wait 2 mins. for a full alignment. During this time you may hear very faint noises and clicks. I
only heard one sitting in my car, if I got out and popped the hood I might hear more.

6. Drive the car as you always do.

Depending on your driving style, this may or may not be a big factor. I do a lot of city driving so
I noticed a big change after erasing my history. It is not hard to do this, just follow the
instructions - Key on, pedal down, 5 sec, key off pedal up, wait 2 minutes.

Keep the key in for the entire thing. "

Old 02-17-2008, 10:00 PM
1st Gear

I have never tried that, but that also looks like a sport mode set up for a VW.