Audi Q5 The Audi Q5, aerodynamics have never looked so good.

Slight Vibration When Idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 12:47 PM
1st Gear
Default Slight Vibration When Idle

Hey Guys - new 2014 2.0 Q5 owner here. I love the car thus far, but there is one thing that has been causing me some slight irritation and I wanted to see if others have experienced the same.

When I am in "drive" and have my foot on the brake (i.e. at a stop light) there is a noticeable (slight) vibration coming from the car. It is most easily felt if you grip the driver or passenger side door handles. When the car is in park or in motion the vibration goes away and the ride is whisper smooth.

I brought the car into my local Audi service department and they conceded that the vibration was indeed happening, but it was something they see on all Q5s. I thought about asking them to put me in another one just to see for myself, but I didn't want to look like a lunatic

Can anyone confirm they are experiencing a similar vibration when in idle? It's not a "dealbreaker" as far as my enjoyment of the car, but I would just like to know that is is normal.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:58 PM
Site Moderator

The 4 cyl engines do tend to have a little more vibration than bigger engines.
Automatic cars also tend to get a little vibration from the torque converter when at a stop and in gear. My 2.0T does this as well.

If it gets worse or the vibration shakes the rearview mirror, etc, then I would think you have an issue - possibilities include a crankcase pressure issue (pcv valve), dead coilpack or bad plug, clogged air filter, bad engine mount or tranny mount ...

But it sounds to me like your car is running normally.