B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Need Advice - Cam Follower

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 09:42 AM
Tech Certified

Originally Posted by Dolamite
This all would happen in a perfect world. If you are experienced as a master technician then you're well aware that the hpfp can be ground down past the plunger, to the spring and the car won't exhibit nary a sign nor even a code. You tell them that you know/feel that the car has a blown follower the procedure is to scan the car. The op didn't mention a CEL and that doesn't bode well for any stored codes. The formal protocol is not to go further than a diagnostic if codes P2293 and P0087. P1093 is knowingly associated with the camfollwer failure, but is not recognized in terms of warranty - even with your VIN# falling withing the warranty extension. Without those specific codes your car, even with a cam follower punched through, will have any existing codes retrieved, cleared and you the customer left with the option to pay out of pocket for repairs or be sent on your merry way with the $150 diagnostic fee. The second scenario: for cars that fall under the same extension, both the A3 and B7 A4 with P2293 and P0087. Retrieve and clear codes. A new cam shaft(intake) will be installed, camfollwer, hpfp if necessary(can't believe they actually say this). All done in lock carrier pos. followed up with an Oil change and a road test. Everything up to the point of the mandatory codes including all the technical diagnosis is up to the dealer's discretion. Once the procedure is completed the dealer reimbursed for the parts and procedure with Audi warranty allowance. Knowing the formalities of the procedures to follow you can either go in there telling them you have a blown follower with or without codes (hopefully you have them. They'll require the $150 diagnostic payed in the event you don't have the codes. If you do, the allowance will cover it.) and give them the opportunity to deny you outright. -or- You can go in there asking just for a check up of the follower, that you intend to pay yourself, and then have the hpfp opened up and in there faces to see the failure before they have the opportunity to dismiss you. This route is if you didn't have the codes of course. Both are a gamble without those codes, but one is more profound than the other. If you are denied either way you pay for them to look at your car. I'd choose the latter. Again, I know people that have and still fall within the specific warranty period that have been turned away for the only reason given being not having those codes.
If your eating into the spring you will have symptoms, lol. Acceleration in on-ramp driving will always give the desired symptom for follower failure. As an experienced technician. The OP complaint + a B7 = I'm removing the follower as the car is still scanning. I'd would have had this car done and back to the owner in 4 hours. My warranty admin has no problem getting this covered with or without a fault. Time is money..... It seems this dealer is wasting both. You can do this repair without putting the lock carrier in service position. I do timing belts this way all the time. Takes about 2.5 hours to do a tb replacement with all the components. I wish you owners could experience quality work and service... Dealers like this give the rest of us a bad name. I also replace the timing chain and tensioner when doing this repair. If I notice metal shaving in the Pickup screen on the tensioner I called Audi and get permission to remove the lower pan and inspect that pickup. I've done cylinder heads and engine replacements as well due to excessive damage from metal circulation, ALL covered by Audi.

Last edited by Audi Tek; 03-05-2015 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:22 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Audi Tek
If your eating into the spring you will have symptoms, lol. Acceleration in on-ramp driving will always give the desired symptom for follower failure. As an experienced technician. The OP complaint + a B7 = I'm removing the follower as the car is still scanning. I'd would have had this car done and back to the owner in 4 hours. My warranty admin has no problem getting this covered with or without a fault. Time is money..... It seems this dealer is wasting both. You can do this repair without putting the lock carrier in service position. I do timing belts this way all the time. Takes about 2.5 hours to do a tb replacement with all the components. I wish you owners could experience quality work and service... Dealers like this give the rest of us a bad name. I also replace the timing chain and tensioner when doing this repair. If I notice metal shaving in the Pickup screen on the tensioner I called Audi and get permission to remove the lower pan and inspect that pickup. I've done cylinder heads and engine replacements as well due to excessive damage from metal circulation, ALL covered by Audi.
Techs like you seem to be few and far between and are often kept isolated from us customers by bad Service Writers. I can count on one hand the number of times they've actually let me talk to one of the real techs at the dealership I have taken my car to (twice).

I'm appreciative that you are willing to wade into discussions here at AF.com.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:29 PM
1st Gear

If your eating into the spring you will have symptoms, lol. Acceleration in on-ramp driving will always give the desired symptom for follower failure.
Audi Tek, I don't mean to insult your integrity and I'm sure your are a very diligent audi techician, but perhaps there's some things that you have yet to come across. There's a myriad of A4 owners that've had the their hpfp ground down to the spring with no inherent symptoms, codes, and their A4s still pull fine. Do you think the OP had P2293 and P0087? Did you see his pump? I know a few people, personally, that didn't find it a laughing matter.

My warranty admin has no problem getting this covered with or without a fault. Time is money..... It seems this dealer is wasting both.
Perhaps you should fill the A4 owners that have fought to no avail over this in on where that dealer is. Maybe some can swing by and take advantage of this unadulterated customer service - seriously. Unfortunately not all are the same.

You can do this repair without putting the lock carrier in service position. I do timing belts this way all the time.
Yes, some of us know this as well. That was an excerpt from the actual TSB#2013147/13 as an example of Audi's formality on the warranty procedure.

Takes about 2.5 hours to do a tb replacement with all the components.
Takes me four with coolant replacement and with everyday non-pneumatic/electronic tools. That time goes by fast.

I wish you owners could experience quality work and service... Dealers like this give the rest of us a bad name. I also replace the timing chain and tensioner when doing this repair. If I notice metal shaving in the Pickup screen on the tensioner I called Audi and get permission to remove the lower pan and inspect that pickup. I've done cylinder heads and engine replacements as well due to excessive damage from metal circulation, ALL covered by Audi.
Once again, I also wish this was the case. I like many have experienced the opposite from Audi. Then again, you are different in that you are a member in an Audiforum where others leave it at the dealership.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:29 PM
1st Gear

3rd day at Dealership. Fortunately I have a loaner.

I called the Service Manager this morning and expressed my concern regarding Audi's decision to not even perform an oil change as part of this service. I also informed him I had done a lot of research and found that Audi is replacing customer's engines in several of these cases. He said he would review with Audi and let me know what they say.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:05 PM
Tech Certified

Originally Posted by Dolamite
Audi Tek, I don't mean to insult your integrity and I'm sure your are a very diligent audi techician, but perhaps there's some things that you have yet to come across. There's a myriad of A4 owners that've had the their hpfp ground down to the spring with no inherent symptoms, codes, and their A4s still pull fine. Do you think the OP had P2293 and P0087? Did you see his pump? I know a few people, personally, that didn't find it a laughing matter. Perhaps you should fill the A4 owners that have fought to no avail over this in on where that dealer is. Maybe some can swing by and take advantage of this unadulterated customer service - seriously. Unfortunately not all are the same. Yes, some of us know this as well. That was an excerpt from the actual TSB#2013147/13 as an example of Audi's formality on the warranty procedure. Takes me four with coolant replacement and with everyday non-pneumatic/electronic tools. That time goes by fast. Once again, I also wish this was the case. I like many have experienced the opposite from Audi. Then again, you are different in that you are a member in an Audiforum where others leave it at the dealership.
I go to school once a year and we come face to face with other techs from the regional dealers and I'm shocked at the differences between repair ideals and diagnosis strategies. So I guess I shouldn't be surprised it takes that dealer three days to diag something that is so obvious in their face.

I'm not here to step on anyones's toes.

I guess it's just strange to me people are having trouble with what's come to be a routine repair at my dealer. I can't imagine Audi is rejecting their claims but accepts ours so I don't understand why people are getting so much resistance.

I hope you get this issue resolved. And if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:20 PM
1st Gear
Default Done... FINALLY!!

Got the car back finally. They replaced the cam, the pump, the cam follower, and the oil/filter. There were a couple of other low cost items in there... bolts, gaskets. I can see the shiny new pump is in there, it's slightly different from the original.

Service manager was a nice guy, he explained they took a good look at the cam shaft bearings for damage from metal shavings, and they said it was clean, so there shouldn't be any other follow-on damage. The bill they sent to Audi was $1800.

I went for a short drive and I did noticed the difference. The slight hesitation around 2000-2500 rpm is gone and the car feels smooth again. I can't understand what took so long, but it's done and the warranty covered all the cost, so I'm pleased. They did, however, lose one of my little rubber stoppers from the engine cover, which is annoying. They also didn't reset the service engine light, which is also strange. But I'm glad this is all done and over. Time to move on.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:44 PM
1st Gear

Congrats. Maintain that pig the right way from here on. Good luck

Old 03-06-2015, 09:35 AM
2nd Gear

Glad to hear they finished it and did it right. Odd that the CEL would be on still. Weren't you having some other, unrelated codes? Perhaps it's that tripped again? Most won't trip the light until a 50 mile cycle after resetting it, but I think some (like a misfire) can still trigger it in that within that reset cycle. Get it scanned and if it's residual, you can probably just reset it. At this point in owning my Audi, I have multiple scanners. LOL

My dealership ripped my belly pan driving the car on or off the lift. They could've probably hid it from me, but they took responsibility, told me about it, and replaced it (even letting me keep the loaner an extra day or two because they had to order one in).

Old 03-06-2015, 01:15 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by KingWulfgar
Odd that the CEL would be on still.
Oh sorry, I don't have a check engine light, it's that after getting the car back the "service" message still appears on the command screen. They clearly didn't reset the service indicator.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:52 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by SFL_A4
Oh sorry, I don't have a check engine light, it's that after getting the car back the "service" message still appears on the command screen. They clearly didn't reset the service indicator.
Oh, my misunderstanding. That should be easy to reset. I haven't had to look in a while, but I'm pretty sure the procedure is in the manual.