General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2003 Audi A4 3.0 random misfire, need help diagnosing!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 04:06 PM
1st Gear
Default 2003 Audi A4 3.0 random misfire, need help diagnosing!

Hey guys, I just bought this car 2 days ago...

I got the car with no CELs, but then the next morning I noticed a pool of something on the ground and then saw a CEL too. So I brought it in to get the codes, and there is random misfires (lean air/fuel ratio) and misfires on 1,2,3,4,5,6 (vacuum leak on engine). I did quite a bit of research last night and came up with the following:

-change spark plugs
-coil packs are bad (typically not all cylinders though so not my issue I am guessing...)
-coolant sensor bad
-cam sensor bad
-valve gasket blown
-head gasket blown
-vacuum leak

When I took a peek at the spark plugs they considerably wet with oil. The car is running 5W-30 and should be 0W-30 plus they are running bosch super plus fr7kpp33u plugs. So what I need is help diagnosing this! I understand these are the wrong plugs and am going to dealer tonight to get OEM ones. The other problem with large amounts of oil... does not make sense that there is oil on the outside and inside of plugs, possible valve gasket blown? Please help me diagnose this, I would be very so in your debt.

*I have pictures but do not know how to upload them! someone give me a tip on this? I can visually show you then also.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:46 PM
1st Gear

The random misfire is the result of the lean fuel mixture and you need to find out why.
Possibilities:
Vacuum leak allowing unmetered air into engne.
Bad coolant sensor causing the ECM to call for too little or too much fuel
If the plug tips are oiled, then you need to change the plugs as they will misfire. If the plugs are oiled on the outside, then you need to deal with the oil leak.
A blown head gasket will cause misfire but you need to verify that it is blown.
The oil viscosity does not cause misfire