91 200 turbo dies

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 02:38 AM
1st Gear
Default 91 200 turbo dies

Everytime im stopping and going up a hill and/or turning, my audi dies. Just as if it ran out of gas.

I bought a new fuel filter, and am looking to replace it monday or so, if that doesnt help im going to look at the fuel pump. In the meantime, once my gas gets a little lower im going to put in some fuel injection cleaner.

suggestions?

Old 10-09-2004, 10:53 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: 91 200 turbo dies

A couple things could be the culprit but the only thing I could think of is air in the system if the car ran fine before you ran out of gas. I have been through this route on my old Saab. There might be a special bleeding procedure to get the air out.

Try reading the fault codes and see what you get, I highly recommend this sight for information SJMautotechnik Audi parts are very expensive so swapping parts could quickly add up to $$$$ and still not solve your problem.

Old 10-09-2004, 08:35 PM
1st Gear

air in the system? could you elaborate?
the car doesnt go past 4000 RPM, stutters when stopped, and dies if im stopped looking up a hill but runs better when looking down. once it warms up it gets a little better but not much.

perhaps a better grade of gas? i believe the previous owner filled up my tank with 87. i bought it 2 days ago.

Old 10-11-2004, 12:07 PM
2nd Gear

Air in the fuel system can cause loss of pressure. Since the pump is of the rotary vane type it will not pump gas even with slight amount of air as opposed to centrifugal, diaphragm or piston pumps. Rotary vane pumps deliver high pressure and cannot pull a vacuum to draw in fuel. Better grade of gas is not going to help you much. Do you have a full tank, if not, fill it up and see what happens? Perhaps the pickup tube is broken or has fallen out causing you to suck in air on turns and hills. A bottle or two of dry gas could also help just incase you have water in the tank and replace the fuel filter.

Did you check the timing? From what you are describing it might not be fuel related. Ignition wires, rotor, cap and spark plugs can also give you running problems and power loss. Try using OEM type ignition parts, the Pep Boys, Autozone, Napa, etc stuff is too cheap, yes it will work but not as good as the OEM type. Check your airflow sensor perhaps you are getting a vacuum leak. A compression check might help as well to make sure you don't have a bad valve or cylinder. Try pulling the codes of the ECU to see if you have other problems.

Old 10-12-2004, 10:57 PM
1st Gear

thank you for your info. First I am going to swap out the fuel pump, since it is humming loudly anyway, If this doesnt help ill continue trying things you mentioned. There is a cap by the turbo that is cracked and leaking exhaust i am looking into. Also, ive heard that with my model of audi the fuel pump can sag and sit at the bottom of the tank. I would like to check for this but do not know how.

Old 10-13-2004, 01:13 AM
2nd Gear

If it's not broken don't fix it! The fuel pump is a major PITA to replace. It is also expensive, the non OEM replacements lack the performance and are not worth the cheap price. I have been driving with a noisy pump for more than three years and +65K miles. I have heard many instances of noisy pumps being replaced and the new pumps were just as noisy. I am not sure what you mean by “sag” as the pump sits at the bottom of the tank in a special holder. If the pump can't deliver the specified volume and pressure than replace it. One way to shorten the life of a fuel pump is if sits for a long time and moisture accumulates in the tank, the pump will rust solid. I have taken one apart and they are quite well made.

Old 10-15-2004, 01:53 AM
1st Gear

by "sag", ive heard that on my year of audi, the pump is surrounded by a rubber seal that deteriorates and the pump sits at the bottom of the tank and cant suck as much gas thru. like pressing a straw to the bottom of a glass. i also heard you can do a cheap fix by wedging something in there since you need a special tool to replace it.

Old 10-26-2004, 02:03 PM
1st Gear

Maybe the fuel pump is lose on the tank and get bubbles when turning....

Ðenis

Old 12-03-2004, 12:19 PM

I know that i emailed you already, but check the intake hose, that was the problem with my 5000 turbos, remove the intake hose and look it over good, mine was cracked all on the underside and once replaced, it was great. Cost me $100 new, but was worth loosing the headaches of the car stopping everytime I went around a corner and gave it some gas.