AUDI CABRIOLET (98) TOP PROBLEM(S)

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 09:32 PM
Default AUDI CABRIOLET (98) TOP PROBLEM(S)

I'm hoping someone can help. 98 Cab, top won't go down. How can I manually put top up/down? Fortunately, stuck in closed position - could be worse...Can't afford motor/pump swap, hoping to still enjoy open air driving, though.

Thanks!

Vince

Old 03-18-2008, 03:58 PM
Default RE: AUDI CABRIOLET (98) TOP PROBLEM(S)

I just bought an 1995 Audicabriolet which seemed to be having a few intermittent issues with the top working.
Make sure the trunk is locked - "perma-locked" (all the way to the right?), so it doesn't unlock with the central locking.
Make sure all car doors are shut.
Turn ignition on or better yet start car. If the top still wont automatically open, here's how to do it manually.

I am not an expert but by making sure I did the following, mine worked again with the power switch:

Put your windows down.
Release the top by twisting the central release and push up 6 inches.
Get out of the car and slowly (it's heavy as you pull against the hydraulics) lift up the back of the top. You may need to pull the front part a little further back to enable the back part to lift up fully.
You can now see the 2 flaps (one either side) that sit on the front part of the hard stowage cover.They should be flapped open. Theyflap open to the side.If you have a manual they are pictured. Inside these 2 flaps is a brass colored latch which you need to lift up (yes-each side at the same time!) in order to be able to lift up the hard stowage cover.
Once the hard stowage cover is lifted, you can now fold down the back of the top while pulling back the front of the top, folding it into the stowage area.
Now lower the hard cover and it should lock down into the two brass colored latches.

I could not get mine to latch down. Why? Dunno other than the top didn't seem to stow low enough.

The owners manual says that putting the top down manually CAN reset the power function and make it work again.
IT DID FOR ME. Mine works now every time. Praise GOD!

To put it up again reverse the instructions. The first thing to do is release the 2 brass colored latches. From there it's pretty straight forward.

I REALLY hope this helps you my friend!