Do It Yourself Timing Belt Change?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 11:38 AM
Default Do It Yourself Timing Belt Change?

I have recently purchased a 94' 90S Quattro that appears to be in need of a timing belt change and water pump (cannot verify last time it was done).

I am a pretty decent home mechanic, and am wondering if it's worth the time, effort, and extra tools required to do it myself over the roughly $1000-$1200 quotes I'm getting from various shops?

Also there does not appear to be any good after market manuals on this model. Is Alldata.com worth it or should I just cave for the CD's?

Old 08-20-2005, 01:37 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Do It Yourself Timing Belt Change?

I don't think most of us here know what is in your car. I sure don't. I would say it is totally worth doing it on the V6, but I am guessing you are the 4 cyl but who knows maybe you're the v8. I guess I could (and others) advise you a little better if you give us a lot of engine spec on your car. It is probably worth it to do it yourself though. From what I can tell people are getting ripped off for timing changes. There are a few key tips for all timing belt changes to keep in mind, like not turning anything when you take the belt off, getting the exact number of teeth between each gear as it was previously, and (highly reccommended) marking where things came from incase anything goes wrong. You car is a little older so it will probably be easier, (like marks for top dead center so you can line up). ANyway, sorry I don't know your car model that well but I would guess it is similar to something I have worked on.

Old 08-20-2005, 01:58 PM

Sorry, it has the V6 engine, however many valves normal for the 94' model

Old 08-20-2005, 03:00 PM
2nd Gear

Hmmm, Have you looked at the haynes manual for the A4/ Passat. I drive an older A6 (the first year the it was called the A6 instead of the 100.) The engine is exactly the same. It is not very common for a major engine change to take place because it is so expensive.... And from a little research, the v6 is indeed the 2.8. Shokan.com has a timing belt kit (all the parts to do it right) 200 dollars for the 1994 90 v6. http://www.shokan.com/catalog/produc...roducts_id=623 So, for 200 dollars and a little (well plan 4-5 hours for your first time in there) time you could do it yourself. Do you know if you have the dual overhead cams? The Haynes manual (20$) shows that type of engine only (well and the 4 cyl). If you have dual overhead cams your timing belt cover will be a y shape (crank at the bottom and two cams at the top). If yes, I posted on here about a month ago my reccommendations on how to do it, (a lot of people ask because the timing belt is super expensive and a total scam). There is a tool to hold your cams in place I think it is like 20$ or you can just be super careful (and not move them). Other than that, it is really straight forward. Have you done a water pump before? Have you done anything with timing before? And do you have hex wrenches (lots of them). Last timing belt change (I am at 175000miles) I did in 2 hours between classes in a parking lot. A6/ 100s have a little more space than A4s though so it might be a little harder to access things. (I don't know that I would go as far as saying to remove the radiator or anything but you will have to determine that yourself.
If you want the info on how i did my timing belt, just search my posts, it was about a month ago.

Old 08-20-2005, 07:56 PM
2nd Gear

Blauparts.com is a good source for parts they also sell a kit that includes antifreeze. They also rent the right tools for the job at a reasonable price. I have priced Shoken for a few Items in the past but find Blauparts prices more reasonable. While at it change the hoses as well as the thermostat.

Old 06-09-2006, 12:12 PM
1st Gear

I bought a used 96 A6 with the 2.8 and from what I could find out about this car is that the timing belt has not been changed. So it looks like my next project soon. My question is, do I have to remove the whole front end to change the belt? There is a lot of room between the front of the engine and the fans/radiator and I was thinking there is enough open space to do the work without taking all the bumper, grill and all that stuff apart. I have seen several pictorials on this project but all of them have taken the front of the car apart. thanks

Old 06-09-2006, 08:41 PM

dude, read my DIY, no need to do all that crap.............

Old 06-12-2006, 06:02 PM
2nd Gear

do it youself ... eaven with buying all the tools needed you'll save 50% ... a manual for reference would be good

Old 06-13-2006, 12:12 AM

timing is like 250 buks, with all.
you get timing belt, water pump, serpanten belt, pulles if you want I did not change them couse they were good. some more stuff but I dont remember.