Knocking noise please help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 01:19 PM
1st Gear
Default Knocking noise please help!

I have a 93 90s and everytime I hit a bump big or small it sounds like the engine is going to fall out there is a very loud banging noise but I have been assured it's not the engine mounts. Here is everything I have replaces
driver and passangerstruts
outter tie rod ends (both sides)
stabilezer bars (both sides)
driver side wheel bearing
driver and passanger side half shafts
strut mounting plates (both sides)
I'm at a lose here and am running out of time and patience trying to find this problem. It is also falling out of allighnment for no reason making a rubbing sound sometimes when wheel isturned all the way while moving and my sterring is very very loose! someone told me that maybe my rac and pinion is shoot? what do you think? I really want this fixed it's the only problem that I have yet to resolve on my car. I appreciate any and all help givin. Thanks Evan

Old 12-19-2007, 09:17 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Knocking noise please help!

control arm bushings ... ball joints

Old 12-20-2007, 11:38 AM
1st Gear

I forgot to mention until you said it. i had the lower ball joints replaced to or so I was told was done at Pep Boys

Old 01-03-2008, 07:09 AM
1st Gear

90sMoneyPit:

I did have a similar problem with my 80. Admittedly it doesn't seem quite as serious as yours, but there was a loud banging noise, and the steering was less responsive etc. It turned out to be the plastic panel running under the front bumper of the car to the front wheels which had come loose on the left side and was rubbing against the wheel quite badly.

I couldn't work it out for quite a while as aesthetically it didn't seem to be a problem when stopped, but when I pushed it it would make a loud noise and come loose and hit the wheel.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:40 AM
1st Gear

I'll give it a try tomorrow and post what happens. Thanks for the help!

Old 01-04-2008, 09:00 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Knocking noise please help! (updated with problem found!)

Well I took it to the shop today to get checked out and it seems all of my sub frame bushings are shoot and my control arm bushings as well. Where I got lost was when he said the control arm bushings aren't serviceable and I would have to get the whole set up? I know this might sound dumb but I really don't know, what do they mean by the bushings aren't serviceable and that they would have to change the whole control arm to fix the bushing problem? Also they said since they have to drop the sub frame to change the front bushings that I should do the back as well? Does this all sound right? I'm a wiz when it comes to the electronics and wiring of a car but I get lost when it comes down to the nuts and bolts of things so any help or advice here would be great. Thanks

Old 02-18-2008, 10:43 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Knocking noise please help! (updated with problem found!)

Sounds like a bunch of bull to me. Its just their way of saying they aren't knowledgeable of how to fix it or they just want to have you fork out the money and replace a huge section of your suspension when it could just be an insignificant worn out part within the whole thing. I'd take it to a more reputable body shop and ask them to look at your subframe bushings and see what they say.