Go Back  AudiForums.com > Audi Models > All Other Audi Models
 Planning my first Audi. What to look for? >

Planning my first Audi. What to look for?

Planning my first Audi. What to look for?

Old 06-05-2006, 07:29 PM
Default Planning my first Audi. What to look for?

First of all, Hi. I'm new to these forums and new to the world of Audis. I'm planning to buy an Audi with a friend of mine. We're planning on buying something cheap and gradually building it up to our dream ride.

We were looking towards an Audi 100, 2.2 Litre engine, 100kW, year 1983, milage 385 000km, manual transmission. It's really cheap, and it runs. It costs 5500 eeks, that's about 420$. Since Estonian roads are total crap, the car is probably somewhat banged up. I've looked at the pictures, and the car seems to be, oddly enough, quite beautiful. It's metallic purple, doesn't seem to have any dents or major scraches anywhere and the interior seems fine as well.

I'm mostly worried about rust. It's damn hard to get rid of and it can surely be the death of this car. So i'm planning on checking out the sideskirts, everywhere near the wheels, inside the trunk and under the hood, right where the struts connect to the body. Any other places i should pay special attention to?

About the engine, i'm mostrly worried about the valves and the fuel intake system. I've had a lot of trouble on other cars with those parts so it think they deserve some special attention before buying. I'm also thinging about the belts and the cooling system. Also if the engine is burning or leaking oil, or leaking anything it shouldn't.

Since Estonia is littered with Audi parts, it shouldn't be to hard to find replacements to anything that might break down, or explode, or whatever.

So i'm waiting for your advice, and looking forward to becoming an owner of my first Audi.

Old 06-06-2006, 03:47 AM
Default RE: Planning my first Audi. What to look for?

hmm, there is lots of things,
100Kw engine is good, yes make sure that little or no rust, look around the windshild area on corners.
check for oil burning. the exaust, check if it has a ring around the tip. if it does if it looks wet then its oil, if it looks dry and black then there is something wrong with the A/F ratio couse it runs reach.
it could be that simple ring swap would fix any problem with oil.

oh check behind covered areas. there is mostly rust.