shifting problems.....please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 07:40 PM
Default shifting problems.....please help!!

I have a 1995 Audi 90. When I step on the gas full throttle from a stop, it doesnt shift from first to second. It gets up to around 5k rpms and then just keeps hesitating until I let off the gas.

What could be causing this? The dealership says theres nothing wrong but I know there is and my warranty is up in 13 days. Please help me! Also, I had check engine code P0175 - Fuel Trim Bank 2 System Too Rich. Could this have anything to do with it? Thanks so much for your help!

Old 06-23-2005, 07:45 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: shifting problems.....please help!!

I don't know what the problem is, but for the dealer to tell you that there is no problem sounds like a run around.

First step - take it to another dealer.

btw, does this only happen when at 100% throttle?

Old 06-24-2005, 11:52 PM
2nd Gear

Tell the dealer to put in writing this way you have at least something documenting that the problem occurred while still under warranty. But don’t hold your breath, I find it more and more challenging to find a reputable dealer.

Old 07-11-2005, 01:53 AM
1st Gear

Too late now, unless you have taken it back to the dealer and gotten in writing that it refuses to shift.

Auto trannys work on a sequence valve principle. Pressure builds till anothe valve opens to shunt the fluid to the next gear.

Sounds like your second gear valve is sticking, or you are dumping fluid pressure, not reaching pressure required to overcome the spring resistance in the second gear valve. That would be a miscalibration in tranny valve adjustment. Allen setscrew, against the spring, not for you to do.

Has it ever been dismantled, to your knowledge. If the springs, some of which are the same, visually, have their own characteristics, no 2 are the same, though they are the same wind and the same diameter wire.

Then again, you may have some fines in the fluid that the filter can't seperate, causing the valve to stick.

One reason I am thinking I will trade my '90 100 for a '90 200T tomorrow. Hangup in reverse, don't want to go for a 90 buck pressure flush that might, probably wouldn't, cure the problem. Sometimes have to goose the engine lightly to get it to go into reverse. Plus, of course, the Turbo part. Loved my old one.

Cheers,

George

Old 07-11-2005, 01:44 PM
2nd Gear

On most newer cars with EFI and automatic transmissions the electronic brains are integrated and if you get a fault code it could prevent the transmission from shifting properly. I would get the P0175 taken care of first before blaming the transmission. Today's automatic transmissions have a multitude of sensors and solenoid valves for shifting gears. The old days of turning set screws, adding shims, etc are gone for the most part. Today’s automatics use inputs from the engine and transmission to determine optimum shift points. The engine also uses signals from the transmission to determine the optimum ignition timing so as to deliver the maximum torque and fuel economy.

This is one reason I LOVE manual transmissions especially on high mileage vehicles as it eliminates this headache of dealing of who farted first the engine or the transmission.

Old 07-16-2005, 04:35 AM
1st Gear

Offramp,

10 years old is not today's tranny, but I get your point. I have no idea how much electronic feedback the 95s had.

The setscrew are still there in the valve body. Electronics won't compensate for spring rates. Get all the hydraulic pressures in place before it leaves either the tranny builders plant or the car builders plant. I'd go for the tranny builder, just push 'em hydraulically, or mechanicaly against a drive unit, make your adjustments, uncouple, and ship to the assembly plant. All ready to go. Shift points set for any throttle position, and the farther you depress the throttle, the higher the shift point.

Normal driving, mine shifts into high at some 40-44 mph. Step on it, might not shift till 60, 4K plus on the tac.

Fines in the tranny can stick the valves. If they stick, you won't get a shift at the right points. Whether a fluid change will help, I don't know. Need one my own self, and since the turbo was in such bad shape, new CV shafts needed, new strut inserts, stabilizer bushings, headliner falling down, gone from the sunroof, altogether, decided to stay with my NA 100, so probably will go for the 90 buck power flush. Mebbe just a fluid change, filter clean, first.

Took the thing for a test drive the other day. My car jukes to the right a good bit. That damned thing would throw you into the jersey barrier in 20 feet. Mind you, it still looks good, get up and go from the turbo, but don't want to give the money(came down to 350 and mine) then a grand or so of all that I have done over the last 6 or 8 months.

Ah, well,

Cheers,

George

Old 07-19-2005, 02:05 PM
2nd Gear

On my wife's 96 Mercury Mystique with CD4E trans, there were something like 14 sensors, servos and solenoids. When it worked it was a decent shifting slosh box, but oddly enough as soon as it hit 100K it went "kaput!" At $2000 I didn’t feel like paying for it. After reading some complaints I considered myself lucky, as this box has been known to fail as early as 30K. It was a very common problem with the 95-97 Ford CD4E transmissions and taking it out was the real problem. Definitely not a DIY job since according to the factory service manual, transmission shops and online posts, the engine, transmission, suspension and lower cross-member has to come out all at once. So we parted with the car for $400!

I have been a gear jammer for 20 years and always look for one when buying a vehicle for myself. I don’t care how good the bargain is, no manual, no way! I prefer manual to any automatic and I don’t have any regrets even when driving in city traffic. There is something about shifting gears and being in control. You can shift low for fuel economy or rev that baby for maximum power and you can go from Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Hyde at an instant. An automatic is stupid it doesn’t see the driving conditions or be able to read your mind and intentions. Even when I drive my wife’s new car I find my thumb on the OD button. I don’t have much confidence in the “thumb/paddle shift” or the “auto stick” systems. I don’t see them lasting a long time there is just too many parts to go wrong with. A clutch is much easier and cheaper to replace then to rebuild a whole automatic.

Last week I found something that I thought Audi didn’t make, a 95 A6 Quattro with a 5-speed manual, first time I have ever seen one. Unfortunately the miles were too high and driver’s seat was totally trashed.