Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

Air - Spring Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 11:33 AM
1st Gear
Default Air - Spring Conversion

OK, so I’ve decided to take the plunge and install the conversion kit to replace the air springs with regular springs (04 Allroad, 4.2). With all of this lovely spring weather in the past few days, my front air springs appear to have finally taken their last gasp (welcome to Colorado, where its 70 on April 8 and then 12 on April 9). They have been acting up for the past week or so, same old story, fully down in the morning, but they’ve always come back up and actually stayed up all day without much difficulty. In fact they were fully up a few mornings along the way. But not today, with temps hovering around 9. Unfortunately, I had no choice but drive it since I had to get the kids to school, and me to work. I am hopeful that we get some warmer temps and it will at least pick up again so the car is drivable while I wait on my conversion kit from Arnott (slowly motoring its way to me as I type).

I’m planning to do the work myself with the help of a friend who has some strong automotive skills and this ultimate set of tools (even better than Spicoli’s dad… promise), so I should have help and access to most everything I need toolwise. But, as it goes, I’m due for an oil change and I was planning to run the car over to the shop and have them un-seize the control arm pinch bolts while they have it, since I know that’s a potential point of difficulty for this project. I’ve done struts and springs before, and the hardest part of that was compressing and changing the springs, which I avoid here, so that’s good. The directions appear pretty straight forward, un-bolt, re-bolt, but I’m sure there’s details hidden in those steps that make it a more difficult project. So, what I’m hoping to gather is feedback on those odds and ends that will make this a more difficult process, and if there are any other items I should consider having my shop do to help prepare?

Thanks for your feedback and information. I’ve gathered much knowledge and insight from this forum since I became a proud Audi owner.