Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

Air Suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 08:52 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bagpipingandy
I would recommend a fault code scan, the N111 valve releases air but it works in conjunction with the valve block, are you sure it is not an air bag Leak? the car tries always to keep all 4 corners level so if you have a leak at one corner (or 2) the other corners will lower to match. jacking mode dissables the system. park at level 1 and put it into jack mode, if only one, (or 2) corners sinks you have a leaking airbag, they do not leak at level 4 due to the way the bag folds, check this 1st at level 1 as it is easiest to diagnose with no fault codes

If a leak it is large hence it struggles to lift to level 1 and 2 after that the leak(hole) closes and it will keep air ok.

let us know what it does at level 1 in jack mode,

regards

Andy
Andy,
You're right on. Level 4 held for 6 days without a leak. I let the suspension down to level 1, hit jack lock, got out of the car and could hear left front air bag leaking. It defies common sense that it wouldn't leak at all at level 4. Thanks for knowing your stuff. I'll take the easy way out and replace that air bag unless there are caveats about just replacing one. I drilled out the dreaded pinch bolt last year on that side to replace a CV joint, so the operation should go pretty easy (removing the pinch bolt that is).

Is Arnott the best place to buy just one air spring? I just want original equipment type performance.

Thanks,
Doug

Old 05-31-2013, 09:38 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by dallroad
Andy,
You're right on. Level 4 held for 6 days without a leak. I let the suspension down to level 1, hit jack lock, got out of the car and could hear left front air bag leaking. It defies common sense that it wouldn't leak at all at level 4. Thanks for knowing your stuff. I'll take the easy way out and replace that air bag unless there are caveats about just replacing one. I drilled out the dreaded pinch bolt last year on that side to replace a CV joint, so the operation should go pretty easy (removing the pinch bolt that is).

Is Arnott the best place to buy just one air spring? I just want original equipment type performance.

Thanks,
Doug
Yes youd would think the more air pressure, the more it would leak, but the leak is not to do with pressure but the position the bag is sitting, at level 4 the bag is longer and so the perished part is on the flatter upwards section, but lower the car the cracks bend around the lower fold and open and start leaking,

change only the leaking one for the arnott unit.

once you've got that leak fixed, and when you need your compressor refurbishing come see me for a compressor kit

kits sold here: bagpipingandy | eBay

best regards

Andy

Old 05-31-2013, 05:16 PM
1st Gear
Default OEM = short life + no warranty

If by OEM performance you mean, I'd like it to pay more and then have it fail again in another few years...then go for it.

=)

Seriously though, not a bad question.

Personally unless you get a substantial break on shipping, just buy 1 and see if you notice any differential handling. I honestly think the Arnotts are sufficiently less expensive that you could buy 2 of them for near the cost of 1 OEM.

I have not heard of anyone having problems with 1 Arnott. I have heard that people notice a difference between the Bilsteins shocks and the original equipment shocks...which I think are Continentals?